What's new

Are anti-biotics the ONLY cure for Strep??? (1 Viewer)

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
My oldest appears to have strep and no medical insurance...thus no prescription. I read where the meds only reduce the duration by 8 hours...or something like that.

So..any alternatives???

Thanks in advance.

Tom Fynan

Stunt Coordinator
If it really is strep pharyngitis, it needs to be treated with antibiotics. You're right that antibiotics don't dramatically reduce the length of time people feel sick, but they prevent the complications of kidney damage and heart valve damage, which can be life-threatening.

Tom Fynan (who adds the MD after his name for this post.)

M.R.Chobanian

Auditioning
Well, if you don't have it treated it will go away by itself in about four days assuming no abscess forms. The problem is the remote risk of developing rheumatic fever a month or so later (the kidney complications can occur whether Strept is treated or not). And as was mentioned it is contagious although not wildly so.

Antibiotic for Strept (a pencillin if no allergies) would cost about half the price of a mediocre dvd.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Antibiotics are cheap, Scooter. I had a throat infection last summer and the prescription was only $12 (full price and well short of the $50 deductible on my prescription plan).

Tell that kid to get to the doctor, pronto!

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Antibiotics are cheap, depending on what you're getting. Typically you'll get something like amoxicillin prescribed for strep and the regimen is annoying but doable, and it's very, very inexpensive.

The other option is usually something like azithromycin, which is just once daily dosing and the regimen only lasts a couple days versus the week or so for amox. Amox is also more likely to cause diarrhea or other GI problems (nothing severe, but noticeable). Azithromycin is at least three times the cost of a penicillin product however.

Just so do I don't sound like I'm pulling this from nowhere, I am studying pharmacy in school right now ;). It's been a while since we did infectious disease though, so I cover my own butt my saying consult with a doctor and don't take my advice on its own :D.

I do point out, though, that I had strep last summer, and if it gets bad enough you WILL want antibiotics. Spending three hours in the emergency room while I shivered so much in thirty degree celsius weather that I thought I was going to die was NOT fun.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
When I was a kid(mid 70s)the doctor and my parents used to make me suck on lemons for strep.

As said it shouldnt be much for the antibiotics. But youll need a doctors to prescribe.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
For many reasons, I would not recommend azithromycin or its relatives for the treatment of Strep pharyngitis. The very best treatment remains good old penicillin (the amoxicillin form is very acceptable). If the pharyngitis is documented as Strep, via rapid testing or culture, then it ought to be treated with pencillin/amoxicillin, no exceptions.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Gargle with grain alcohol. That will kill off the strep and any other bacteria in the mouth and tonsils for that matter. Instant cure, not lie. Just be sure not to swallow the alcohol. :)

Jeff

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
The problem is the office visit...not the meds it self.

No insurance and a REALLY expensive visit simply to get swabbed.

The grain alcohol really work???

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
What about one of those walk-in clinics? Shouldn't cost too much for just a rapid test if thats all you have done. It really should be treated with penicillan. I got strep ALL the time when I was a kid, sucked big time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
No insurance and a REALLY expensive visit simply to get swabbed.
Much cheaper than an Emergency Room visit later if it doesn't go away. Aren't there any "free clinics" or walk-in health centers in the area that treat those without insurance?

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
An average visit to a clinic should cost about $60.00, give or take a few dollars. A few years ago I had a sinus infection and didn't have any insurance. So I went to one of the local urgent care medical places and paid out-of-pocket.
Cost me about $60.00 for the visit and another $10.00 for a 10 day dosage of amoxicillin. If your son tells them he doesn't have insurance and money is an issue they will probably try to keep costs down to a minimum.

Actually a doctor told my father about the grain alcohol thing years ago. Makes sense too. With strep throat the bacteria in question are on the surface of the tonsils and throat. Grain alcohol has a high enough concentration to kill off the bacteria.

My microbiology professor told us a similar story. He used to suffer from serious ear infections in his youth. He said one method of treatment he used was actually putting a dropper full of rubbing alcohol in the infected ear for 30 seconds or so. It hurt like a bitch but it killed the infection off instanteously. He didn't recommend it for the faint of heart though :)

Jeff

ace peterson

Second Unit
If it's really strep, the longer you put it off the more you will pay in the long run. Did you say what makes you think that it is strep to begin with?

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
The use of penicillin to treat Streptococcus is first-line therapy. There is a possibility that the Strep bacteria may be resistant to penicillins via various mechanisms most commonly the presence of beta-lactamase which will breakdown PCN before it can effect the organism. The longer you wait, the better the chance of the infection to become worse. If it becomes a serious infection, most physcicians would prefer to use Augmentin which is amoxicillin/clavulanic acid just in-case the Strep species is a beta-lactamase producer. The clavulanic acid is a beta-lactamase inhibitor. This will block the inactivation of amoxicillin by the organism and allow the drug to break down the cell wall. Augmentin is more expensive than plain PCN or amoxicillin.
Penicillin derivatives are bacteriocidal, meaning they will kill the organism along with your immune system.

Just in-case you were wondering, I am a pharmacist with a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree. I had 5 years of pharmacy specific education and training. Along with 2yrs prerequisite education.
Good Luck,
Jason

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Jason:

Before you recommend Augmentin to anyone with true Group A beta-hemolytic Streptococcal pharyngitis, I would caution you to pause. Resistance of other forms of Strep, such as Strep pneumoniae, is a problem. However, resistance of Group A Strep (and, for that matter, Group B Strep) is still quite uncommon. Let's not confuse our Strep here, and let's not recommend Augmentin for "strep throat."

If penicillin fails in the treatment of GABHS, then I would question the diagnosis, not the therapy.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Hey Jason, can you send me an email? I have a couple of questions regarding pharmacy school and the profession in general?

thanks,
Jeff

JasonMC

Stunt Coordinator
Angelo,
You are correct that group A strep is still pretty sensitive to penicillin. I'm not recommending Augmentin as first line, but if the infection is allowed to continue without abx therapy and becomes a severe infection, you should consider it. Most clinicians wouldn't want to take the chance of the strep to be resistant to PCN and delay effective therapy for even longer. Too much risk involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks