Are AMC Amps any good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSP, Oct 8, 2002.

1. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Just like the title says. I would like to find out if these amps are any good or decent. Please tell me your experiences with AMC amps, good or bad.

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I have heard they are in the same league as NAD if it means anything, I have heard NAD and they sound quite good and I consider them a terrific value.

3. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Nick, I own both the AMC 2N100-5 and the 2100 for my HT setup and they have never done anything but amaze me in regards to price/performance ratio! [​IMG] Yes, the chief engineer used to design NAD gear and there are many similarities, sonically they are very comparable if not indistinguishable.
    If I had to describe their "character" I'd say they were a "warm" sounding amp. Right out of the box the low-end is lacking some punch but they really start hitting after a good 20 or so hours of use!
    If AMC cared about marketing their products I bet we'd hear a lot more about them, but they don't for they're main business is being an OEM supplier to other larger audio/video makers. They are more known overseas, in particular their valve amps...which actually get some high praise in the presses!
    The last AMC amp, 2N100-5, that was reviewed here in the states was back in the April 1999 issue of Home Theater Magazine.
    Hope this helps...I don't think you can go wrong with AMC amps IMHO!
    E