are all speaker wire gauges equal

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PeterK, Sep 14, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I bought a roll of moster 16 awg speaker and a roll of radio shack 16 awg speaker wire. the monster stuff is thicker. [​IMG] isn't there some sort of standard for the thickness of speaker wire. It wasn't too much thicker but definatly had more girth to it. And i do mean the actual wire not the whole thing including plastic.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    If it has more (finer) strands, then it will be thicker than a wire with fewer strands.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

More strands make it more flexible, but also adds more space between each strand. That's why it looks bigger.

Regards,
    Brent A Lowery[​IMG]

4. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

The Monster stuff (what Best Buy has) has a piece of something in the middle of it. I strip it for our displays and I usually use the 12 AWG part of my wire strippers. If I use the 16 AWG part, I shave off a few dozen copper strands (don't do it over a computer or receiver!!!)

5. frank manrique

frank manrique Supporting Actor

Gauge is gauge; that's the standard ("awg').

Insulating jackets may be thicker, larger in outer circumference, but the gauge thickness of speaker cables (and equipment interconnects as well) will be the same, i.e., 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, and 10 awg, for instance, will remain 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 14, 12, and 10 awg even if their inner core is made up of coarse or fine copper (mostly) wire strands...

-THS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

That little piece of plastic in the Monster wire is what they call their magnetic flux tube. Purportedly, it results in a slight diminuation of the skin-effect, a well-known audio non-issue. Does make the wire look bigger though.