What's new

Are all receivers experiencing the decoding (1 Viewer)

Brad Newton

Second Unit
problems on Pearl Harbor & other dvd's? I am in the market for a receiver & was leaning toward the Onkyo 898, but I don't want to purchase something that is flawed. What about the Denon or Yahama units?

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I have the Yamaha rxv3000 and have had no problems on any dvd's including Pearl Harbor. This unit will soon be replaced by the 3200, so you can get it for around a grand I think. I can't say enough about how much I like this receiver, although I'm sure the Onkyo is a great receiver too.

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Just remember that it is NOT a problem with Onkyo. It is the Dolby company which released softwear that is not compatible id only Dolby Digital mode with Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon(some models), and Marantz models, so do not worry, the affected discs have DTS encoded tracks with work fine, the 898 is a great receiver, you can't go wrong with it.

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
Just remember that it is NOT a problem with Onkyo. It is the Dolby company which released softwear that is not compatible id only Dolby Digital mode with Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon(some models), and Marantz models, so do not worry, the affected discs have DTS encoded tracks with work fine, the 898 is a great receiver, you can't go wrong with it.
No one on this forum would dare say that the problem is with ONKYO. Many of the Onkyo receivers have problems with audio drops on PH and JP3. Be aware of this so you don't get a suprise. This problem does not present itself on MOST other brands of receivers. I have a Kenwood VR507. It does not have the problem and I have heard of no Kenwoods that do.

You might want to take the PH DVD with you when you audition receivers. Especially if you are looking at Onkyo.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a Marantz SR6200 and an SR4000, and neither has had a problem with either of these movies.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
I believe the Kenwoods 509 did have this problem as well. I suppose I can do a search and try and find the person who claimed to have a problem with Kenwood as well. A few had it with the Outlaw as well.

Mark JJ

Auditioning
I have the 510 (PLII) and it definitely has a problem with the DD5.1 on JP3 and PEARL HARBOR.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Well, I have a Kenwood 509 in my bedroom setup and it plays the DD 5.1 on both Pearl Harbor and JP3 fine. (I'm running a Sony 330 player into it.)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Please do remember that this problem is ONLY when running in DD mode, if you watch these movies in DTS, you WILL NOT experience these problems. If you would take the time to read the Dolby lab press release it clearly says that they were experiencing with new software, which they will be removing and Onkyo also said that it was a problem with the discs. To fully enjoy any DVD encoded with both DD and DTS, one should be using DTS anyway because it contains a greater amount of information in its tracks.

Mark JJ

Auditioning
I've heard that this problem exists in the newer units; i.e those that have Pro Logic II. Again, my Kenwood 510 has the dropouts and (I'm told) the 509 does not.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Mark: The 507, 509 and 510 are all current (non-Sovereign) models that have Pro Logic II. The main upgrade of the 510 over the others is that it is THX Select rated. (Of course it has some other nice additions like more power and an aluminum front panel.)

I don't have a clue as to why you're having trouble and I'm not. Have you tried playing the DD soundtracks on PH and JP3 with the THX processing off? It probably has nothing to do with the situation but it's all I can think of...

barrie

Auditioning
Hi peoples. I live in Canada eh ! This is weird because I just returned a Brand new Kenwood VR510. The Kenwood rep ,right from kenwood told me they have installed Dolby chips that are at fault. He did'nt say whose fault it was,but just to return the unit for an immedite ( upgrade,repair) Like in all the threads,Pearl harbour worked great in DTS, Dolby worked as long as the BITSTREAM was toggled off and PCM was on in the DVD hardware menu.Bitstream on or off for DTS. Any way I really didn't want to send another two weeks or longer playin around seing it took me 2 weeks to figure out if I was going nuts.
Any way maybe I am nuts because I exchanged the unit for a
SONY STRDE 975,,and I;am VERY happy with it.:D

JoeyB

Agent
I have an Onkyo 797 and have experienced the DD5.1EX dropout problems with JPIII and PH - no problem because DTS soundtrack is fine. However, I just bought Atlantis (single disc edition), and have the same problem with the DD5.1EX soundtrack, and there is no DTS alternative on this edition. I will have to return this disc.

This problem is becoming increasingly aggravating, and now I have to wonder what new titles will also experience this problems. Suffice to say, I will not be buying and new DD5.1EX only discs for some time, until the problem appears to be resolved. Unfortunately, I doubt Dolby labs would be willing to provide a list of suspect discs.

Because of this, although I like the 797 in all other respects, I would strongly advise against buying a current Onkyo receiver (or other receiver known to have this problem). I know this is NOT Onkyo's problem, but this problem is incredibly irritating - who knows how many more new releases will have this problem. If their solution is to tell people to listen to the analog DVD player output in Prologic II, then I want my $800 back and I'll go back to my old Sony Prologic receiver. Perhaps when these problems actually begin to cut into Onkyo's sales, they will step up efforts to resolve this problem (i.e. pressure Dolby / studios to rerelease re-encoded versions of these movies). Wishful thinking, I know.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
My Onkyo 595 had no problem with Pearl Harbor in DD mode. But apparently lots of other folks with the 595 get the dropouts.

David John

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Yamaha RX-V1200 and I haven't had any problems with Pearl Harbor or JP3. Both played fine and sound great.
(too much love story in Pearl Harbor, but that's another story!)
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks