Are all Plasma TV's this noisy??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

I just bought a Samsung SPK-4215, so far it appears to be lovely, except for the fact that it makes a horrible whining. Does this happen with every Plasma TV? Or does mine is about to explode?

:b

2. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

Is it buzzing from the electronics or the spinning of the cooling fans?

3. Manuel Delaflor

Im not sure... some part of the sound changes as the image change, some colors or brightness combinations makes the sound worst... but there is always some sort of noise present. [​IMG]
    This is really dissapointing... I will wait until monday to see if it becomes better (hope is the last thing to die [​IMG] ) or call Samsung service...

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Is it a whine like a computer monitor going on the fritz?

You should most certainly should not hear a distracting noise from your TV.

5. Manuel Delaflor

So far Im unable to determine the cause of the sound, all I have read is about a fan noise related to this model!! [​IMG]
    But what makes me doubt is that the sound change as the image change... so it appears to be related to the image and not to a constant fan noise...

6. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

What is your altitude? All plasmas make some noise, but many whine pretty bad if you take them too high above sea level. Other than that, it could just be the TV you bought... some are noisier than others.

7. Manuel Delaflor

Jim,

Strange to hear that, because Im 2,400 meters above sea level!

So, somehow my problem is related to where I live? Zaz... I need either to change my Plasma or change my Home!

8. Manuel Delaflor

"Is it buzzing from the electronics?..."

Gabriel, I can now answer that, it is definitely electric buzzing, is there something I can do about it?

9. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

I'd be willing to bet that your altitude is the cause of the problem you're experiencing. I've seen a plasma that worked fine at my altitude (about 5000 feet), but when we set it up another 1500 feet higher, it started whining just like you described. If I were you, I'd contact Samsung and see exactly how high that set is rated to, and if you're above that, see if there's anything they can do for you. Good luck!

10. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

You definitely want to contact the manufacturer soon (SOON), as Jim FC suggested. Plasma TV's do tend to be altitude sensitive, and Samsung doesn't seem to publish those specs. It could also be a problem with your unit, and if that's the case, then you want them to take care of it as soon as possible.

11. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I just wanted to mention most large tubes make noise, even regular TV tubes (CRT). To me it seems like larger tubes make more noise, in a lower frequency range. I always hear monitors and TV's, but the larger screen TV's bother me most. Plasma's are tubes also, but most are less annoying then regular TV screens IMO.

12. Manuel Delaflor

I contacted my Samsung dealer, he says it should not make the buzzing, at least at a high volume, he will be here on the week to hear by himself and take the necessary actions.

13. Jim FC

Jim FC Stunt Coordinator

Manuel,
    It's good to hear that the dealer is coming to check it out, but if my hunch is correct and the Samsung isn't certified for your altitude, nothing can be done to fix it. This has been a known problem for plasmas ever since they were first released, and your dealer should have asked what altitude you lived at... did you see this TV working at the dealer, and is the store much lower altitude than your home? Or was it transported over a high pass between the dealer and your home? As I said earlier, we had one working great in my store, then took it up another 1500 feet to the customer and it freaked out.

I'd recommend finding out exactly what the altitude rating for your TV is before the dealer gets there, so you can be armed with this information if he tries to tell you it can be fixed, or that he'll just bring you another Samsung. You may have to switch brands to one that is OK at your altitude. Good luck!

14. Manuel Delaflor

Jim

I think you are right, I just found the info on another Samsung Plasma, and it states:

Operating Conditions:

Temperature 32 degrees(F) - 104 degrees(F)
    Humidity 20%~30%
    Altitude 6500 feet

I am above 7800 so, asuming that my Plasma supports more or less the same altitude, the problem is undoubtedly this. Will this mean only that I can't get rid of the noise? or also that the life of my Plasma will be diminished?

Also, Im unable to find the specific altitude recomendation for my model, I asked directly to Samsung and Im waiting for the info.

Thanks for your answers.