Are all of tese people buying HD TV's getting ripped off??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Evan M., Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Is it just me who thinks that spending between $1500 an $4000 for an HD TV is a HUGE ripoff?? I say this because when the big switchover to HD finaly occurrs.....seems to get pushed back every year.....prices WILL have to drop off consideralbly. Personaly it seems as if these manufacures are taking as much advantage as they can.......same with the HD providers. Think about all of the extra expense that people are paying now when everyting will have to be cheaper down the road. Yes I know if we wait to buy things there will be something better down the road and we will never buy anything.....but ignore that for a second and think about all of the money that people are shelling out for something that will be the NORM not too long from now. It is not the peoples fault for buying these things....a lot of people cherrish their time to relax and watch TV. To me it is the various companies fault for pricing this technology soooo damn high!!
    With all of that said, I have viewed HD on several occasions and came away EXTREMELY impressed. But I don't think I can could give in to this marketing scheme and shell out huge amounts of money for the TV and pay more a month for the service. I'll get off my platform now [​IMG].

2. John S

John S Producer

Then don't.. We all get to decide with our pocket books.

Keep in mind, that for less than a couple of hundred dollars, most anybody can get HD content on their existing non HD Display too.

Of course, I went somewhat on the cheap, I paid $1250 for my 60" HDTV, on a refurbished. It just didn't seem that out of line with Standard Definition display pricing to me.

You are correct though, eventually these newest technolgies will be cheaper. They have already come down a lot.

HDTV can be had easily anymore for less than $1000, I just don't think it is that out of line with traditional SD display pricing anymore.

3. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"But I don't think I can could give in to this marketing scheme and shell out huge amounts of money for the TV and pay more a month for the service"

Hmmm. My non-HD 46" RPTV 9 years ago was $1700. My 50" HDTV a year ago was $2500. The picture is stunningly better in every way. The price seemed pretty reasonable to me for the improvements. I don't find it unreasonable to pay more for something better.

I get more HD programming free (OTA) than I pay for.

I think you're a few years behind the times, friend.

4. John S

John S Producer

Oh yeah great point about the free over the air HD Elinor.. I get plenty of HD free by the way. Currently I pay zero monthly services, instead I have decided to put that money into my library / media.

5. Andre D

Andre D Stunt Coordinator

My 36xbr250 was $2200 with the stand about 7 years ago. If you compare that to today's HD CRT's, the prices are dead on. I really don't see the high prices you are talking about. If you brought up this arguement a few years ago, I would have agreed with you.

6. Miles M

Miles M Agent

What kind of useless thread is this? You don't make any sense. Should I sue a company because I paid $500 for my first CD player back in the 80's, when I can have one today that plays DVD/CD/MP3 for only $80? Could it be that in the 80's, it actually COST more for them to manufacture a CD player than it does today. Or how about the 850MB computer I bought back in the day, for the same price today I can get a 80GB H.D.
    Dude, it all comes down to basic economics. The companies aren't necessarily getting rich off us(well maybe a little, but that's business). The more they sell, the cheaper the supplies become, the less they can sell to us, and so on. That's why Plasma's have dropped by almost half price compared to when they first came out.
    And like the other's said, OTA HD is here and has been for a while. And TV's over 36" are required to have a built in digital tuner. So your proposed push to HD(which is already here) will not necessarily lower prices further. What will lower prices is when/if a particular technology becomes a clear winner(DLP/LCD/LCOS/Plasma) and better manufacturing processes to increase the yield of these products.
    So go ahead, keep watching your old NTSC set. Or when they switch those off, buy a STB and have it downconvert HD to Standard def. so you can keep watching on your old NTSC TV(or maybe go to your friends house that has an HD set). Me, I'll keep my 61" HDTV and watch my football in true HD.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Thanks for posting a thread in a Home Theater enthusiasts forum that basically tells everyone that has upgraded to the current/future standard is stupidly being ripped off by a "marketing scheme". Real good way to endear yourself. [​IMG]

8. John S

John S Producer

The only thing I can think, is that he has a 19" SD display?

The price difference can still be substantial at that size level I suppose.

Get into larger screen size, and HDTV compares very favorably to what older SD sets cost for sure.

Of course if your not a video enthusiast at all, I would assume SD will be fine forever. Maybe he is looking for the good arguments to push him towards HDTV.

Not sure, but I would say nearly everybody that posts on here, is looking to get the absolute most performance / picture quality possible that they can afford.

This is a Home Theater Forum after all. [​IMG]
    HDTV and DVD's together provide the single biggest advancement ever in the Home Theater area where picture quality and sound for that matter provide the most Theater like experience in one's home.

I mean now, hands down, I'll bet most of us would rather debut a new movie on our own systems, than in pay theaters. HDTV and DVD is what has really made this possible. The cost for this type of performance is way down these days.

It will be interesting to see what the starter of this thread has to post back after reading our responses.

9. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

LOL!! people....CALM DOWN!! I did not intend it at all to be insulting in any way. What I mean to say is that it seems like these companies are charging a large sum of money for something that they will have NO choice but to substantially lower the price on in a few years. Like they are RIPPING US OFF. They are charging thousands of dollars for something that will have to be MUCH cheaper in just a few years.......isn't that called taking advantage of the consumer?? If you took this as me saying you are foolish for buying an HD TV than I apologize....that is certainly not what I meant at all.

10. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

Evan, take some classes about manufacturing and production at your local CC.

It COSTS companies money to develop new products. The New Product Fairy doesn't just plop them into the company's laps.

They have EVERY RIGHT to recoup their R&D costs. They have every right to make A TON of money after that. They are in business to make money. They have an obligation to the shareholders to make money. That's what it's all about (not the hokey pokey).

11. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

My take on this is that I REALLY enjoy the HD content that I am able to watch thanks to my HD RPTV and Cox HD Cable. I don't feel "ripped off" at all. As for prices, heck you can get a 42" HD RPTV at CC these days for less than 900 bucks! With all the services bundled through Cox, I pay about 65 bucks for my cable service which is not out of line. Nope, I don't feel ripped off at all.

12. John S

John S Producer

Can you post specific examples???? How cheap do you think any given display will be?

Prices already seem fairly in line with older SD displays.
    Newer technologies always run thsi course. It is not really a rip off, because you don't have to spend your money on those technologies.

Are you looking for under $1000 Plasma screens?
    $500 DLP / LCD projection displays?

Further clarification is in order. [​IMG]

maybe I can put it this way.... What sort of price / performance mark will get you to buy an HDTV?

$1200 for a 51" HDTV
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A172479%3A3996

$647 for a 30" Widescreen HDTV with HDTV tuner built in
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A3996%3A179863

$697 for a 32" HDTV with built in HD Tuner
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...A3996%3A179863

Just some examples of what we are talking about here from the evil empire. [​IMG]

13. John S

John S Producer

Dang no kidding.. CC even has a 51" for $999 on their website... That seems hella cheap to me for what your getting.

14. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

First off, let me answer some questions posed to me. I am an HT enthusiast. My audio sysem cost around 3,500 back in the day (2-3 years ago) I have a 27" flat screen TV set (tube) and an infocus 4805 front projector.
    Many people took this the wrong way and for that I apologize....my lousy wording.
    Elinor....thank you for the explanation of prices......although the sarcasm was a bit much after I clearly apologized the post before yours.

Chuck, well said and thank you for understanding the jist of my post.

You people do not have to justify your purchas to me. I was just wondering if anyone else felt that the prices of these machines are soooooo expensive now knowing full well that there will be a significant price drop for even BETTER technology in just a few years. This is why the CD analogy is poor and holds no water. The technology stayed the same (pretty much)...the prices just went down. TV technology is ever changing and will continue that way.....but there will suddenly be a significant price drop when the technology becomes the norm.....not because the technology has been out for awhile....but because they will have no choice. Hopefully that clarified things a bit.

15. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

John, very fair question. I am talking about the average price for an HD display. I figure the cheapest is about 700$....whikle the most expensive is in the 20,000$ range. The cheapest non-hd t.v is about 60$ while the most expensive is probably in the 600$ range. If a person in 3 years has to buy an HD TV because just about no other are going to be sold than 700$ for the cheapest they can get is pretty tough to swallow. So obviously companies will have no choice but to lower the price on everything that is being out out. (just about everything)

16. John S

John S Producer

Well, I have bought many products over the years only to see this happen. I guess I am used to it in almost every walk of life.

I'm still not real clear on what Display products your referring to though. We all get to decide where that price -vs- performance mark is that gets us to buy.

With your thinking, I don't see how you could ever buy just about anything.

I think most people just buy it, use it until they want to buy something else. I just don't see many people wishing they had waited 2 years after they have enjoyed their displays for 2 years even if the price drop was 1/2 what they paid for it.

17. Elinor

Elinor Supporting Actor

>"Well, I have bought many products over the years only to see this happen. I guess I am used to it in almost every walk of life."

Well, yeah. It's a basic premise of product lifecycle, not some grand conspiracy or coincidence.

Initial prices are high for 2 reasons: recovering R&D costs, and low volume. As volume increases prices decrease. If volumes or cost of sales never decrease, the cost never will go down. Companies generally don't like to sell products at a loss. They're funny that way. [​IMG]

18. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

Good points John. I guess what I am talking about is that since the invention of the TV there has been only ONE major change.....black and white to color.....this is the second one to take place. I am not talking about getting upgrading speakers or things like that sice technology doesn't change drastical. In the case of HD there will be a changeover and prices on all of the technology with in the HD technology will drop in price.....probabl drasticaly. My question is if people felt as if they felt a bit ripped off know that a few years down the road...much better technology will probably be MUCH cheaper than inferior technology. I am not saying that DLP will be cheaper a few years because it has been around for awhil...I mean that the next best technology down the road will be MUCH cheaper because it HAS to be. Sorry if I am unclear but it is hard to explain [​IMG].

19. John S

John S Producer

In the 27" and under sizes I suppose there is still some merrit to what you are saying. In sizes 30" and up, I stand firm on my cost stance. In smaller sizes, the advantage of HDTV and even EDTV is not as clear for sure.

Hmm would I buy the cheapest 27" SD TV at $170 or so? Probably not. Maybe a company like Durabrand can lower HDTV costs by offering them eventually. I'm afraid what will really happen is that it will be the same 27" TV, just made to accept and tune in HDTV. That being the case, I'd rather pay more myself for a definet step up in performance.

I actually find your post here interesting.

20. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

True Elinor.....but what about having to lower prices because they have no choice since EVERYTHING will be HD in a few years. Companies can't expect the normal non HT person to all of the sudden have to shell out 700$ for a smallish TV set when they could have bought a bigger one for half the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.