1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Are all HTIB's upgradable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

The subject pretty much says it all. I know from reading on here that the Kenwood HTB-504 is very upgradable, but what about other HTIB's? I heard the 504 the other day and was very impressed. I've also heard some others that were pretty impressive, but I'm worried that they won't sound good once I get them into my living room. Are you able to upgrade the speakers on most or all of them? I'm talking about the ones that don't come with the DVD player, just the speakers and receiver. Thanks for any advice.
    Dan

2. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

I would say most are. But usually only to the extent of the speakers because most HTB receivers do not have pre amp outputs.
    The reason you hear that the Kenwood is so upgradeable is because the receiver you get with the 504 is a very good receiver and responds very well to speaker upgrades.
    If your not considering extra amps then a Kenwood HTB is not a bad start.Or Onkyo or whatever your pleasure.
    Once upon a time I started with a Kenwood HTB-203(with passive sub even) and it performed very well in my average sized living room, in fact I still use it in my new,much bigger living room with nice results.
    I use a more powerful Kenwood receiver and JBL speakers and 12" sub in a small 11.5 X 11.5 dedicated HT room( go figure)
    ------------------
    Sean
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

They're upgradable as long as they aren't those gosh-aweful receiver/dvd combo units.

4. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter