are all HDMI cables created equally?

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Peter f, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Peter f

Peter f Stunt Coordinator

Hello

Sorry, if this issue has been brought up before, i did a search and did not come up witha specific thread.

Anyway, cable box and TV both have HDMI, am using the "supplied" HDMI cable from Comcast...should i bother with a "sonicwave" etc...cable or will i see no performance change from a higher quality cable

thank you

Sony KDSR60XBR1

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

You will almost certainly see no difference. Digital cables will either work, or not. If they don't work you will have audio or video dropouts, or other large, obvious problems.

3. Peter f

Peter f Stunt Coordinator

Am having some lip synch and picture skip problems...not sure if its the cable or the box itself. Its only occasional though and only on HD channels that i have noticed

4. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

That can't be the cable. It must be your box.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

No.

Some can handle higher bandwidth(1080P), some can't. Distance can be an issue as well.

6. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

Sync problems can't be the cable. (Broadcasters seem to really struggle with this, for some reason) I doubt it's the box too.

Cable becomes more important as distance goes up. Over a short distance (within an entertainment center) Most anything is fine. For a long run (e.g. to a projector) Cable quality starts to matter more. Again, Digital lines will not slowly degrade like a cheap analog line will, it will just work to a certain point, then start having issues. Dropouts, audio pops and clicks, color changes, screen "blockieness" would be the sort of thing you would experience if your cable had a problem.