Are all flared vents created equal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Jan 17, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have decided on my tempest sonotube design.

175L, 18" sonotube, 45" length w/1.5" endcaps, 64oz polyfill, (1) 4" flared port 13" long tuned to 17.5Hz. Dan has helped me with this design. My question is, are all 4" flared vents the same? I could buy the Adire kit, the Lightning audio kit or the PE aeroport kit. Should I just go with the cheapest one? Is one stronger or better than the others? I have never used a flared kit before so I have no idea.

Thanks!

2. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

The Madisound ones are a little different - they come with screw holes pre-drilled and a little texture along the rim of the port. I use them b/c they're a little bit cheaper and there's no real performance difference.

3. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

jeff, just wondering, what made you decide on that particular configuration? LspCad seems to suggest a larger volume.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Mike,

The EBS design calls for 10ft^3, that would make the sub about 7ft tall. I want to draw attention to it but not THAT much attention. I think you were the one that found the design I am doing if I'm not mistaken. You had asked about it a while back when you found another post by Dan W. This is also the same design that Hank built and he said it is very good.

I wanted to go with the EBS design but it was just too big, and everyone convinced me that a tempest would be best instead of a shiva so this is my only option. I have Dan's blessing for this design and since he designed the driver, I will trust his enclosure design. I'm sure I will be blown away once I hear it so I'm not to worried about not doing the EBS.

5. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Jeff, my approval of Dan's design is certainly superfluous, but that looks like an excellent alignment to me fwiw. In-room, it looks to have a flatter response and lower group-delay than a design "optimized" for a specific frequency. As I've said before, don't worry about the "optimize by frequency fit" function in LspCAD as it appears only to attempt to maximize output at the chosen frequency w/o regard to other aspects of the design.

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,
    From dictionary.com:
    superfluous - being beyond what is required or sufficient
    FWIW=For what it's worth
    Sounds like your thinking about speakers too hard, not working too hard![​IMG]

8. Mike Dr

Mike Dr Stunt Coordinator

Jeff - keep us all posted on your progress. My tempest is coming in a week or so, and by then I'll have my brand new digital camera (Canon G2 .. woohoo) to document the process. I'm thinking of actually going with a slightly bigger enclosure.. maybe about 214 liters or so [​IMG]
    good luck!