Are all Faroudja DCDi Players Equal?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CharlyD, Jan 27, 2003.

1. CharlyD

CharlyD Extra

I'm in the market for an inexpensive DVD player with outstanding video quality. I could care less if the player has DVD audio, SACD or a five disk changer.
    I am aware of the Panasonic RP82, it's high video quality and lack of availability. Due to the difficulty of finding one of these, many have suggested buying a different Panasonic model which uses the same Faroudja chipset. Unfortunately, these are becoming hard to find as well.
    While browsing through Good Guys, I noticed several DVD players which claim to be Faroudja DCDi progressive scan players.
    Would any DVD player which uses Faroudja DCDi look identical to the Panasonic RP82?

2. CharlyD

CharlyD Extra

No replies yet...

Either no one knows the awnser, or it's a really naive question..

3. Not all of them are created equal. Depending on the size of screen you are usingg you may or may not be able to tell any difference. The main reason the RP82 is so popular is it is one of very few progressive players that has DCDi and no chroma bug. This is a bit of a moot point since the DCDi chipset masks the visibility of the chroma bug but on a large enough screen it may still be noticeable.

4. Joe6pack99

Joe6pack99 Second Unit

Nope apparently the RP82 is the king and has better pq than the X50 and by a slim margin the CP-72. Not 100 percent sure about others like the Denon 1600 etc.

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    For examples of Faroudja fli2200-based players that don't perform as well as the best ones like the RP82, check the Secrets' Shootout:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...h&articles=all

You will see such cases w/ the Philips DVD-Q50 and (especially) the Skyworth DVD-1050P.

_Man_

6. SeanWillis

SeanWillis Agent

The mpeg decoder will also play a large role in the PQ of the player.(see rp62 vs. 82) Also things like CCS (cross colour saturation) will make a difference.(again see rp62 vs. 82)

Cheers,

Sean

7. CharlyD

CharlyD Extra

Thanks for the info.

The two particular models I saw at Good Guys were the Sharp DV-S2U (only $128.00) and the RCA DRC35ON ($199.00).
    I tried to find reviews and opinions on these models, but I couldn't find any anywhere.
    My intentions were to purchase an inexpensive ($200 or less) player to tide me over until I could save up for a nicer unit - my existing player is over three years old, can't read half of my disks and does not have progressive scan output.

After seeing the link Man-fai Wong provided, I expect to be purchasing a Panasonic XP-30. That is, if I can find a retailer who sells it.

8. John Carson

John Carson Agent

I picked an XP30 from a guy on ebay. 185 shipped. BRAND NEW. Thing works like a charm. Get an xp30!

9. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

I think Panasonic rules the lower end of the market right now but they don't use Faroudja chips in all their players. Sony does a really good job with their current DVD players too in terms of video quality and they don't use Faroudja. Am I right in thinking DCDi only matters for video sourced material rather than movie sourced material? If one doesn't watch video sourced material, wouldn't a Sony progressive scan player be just as good? I think Philips, Yamaha, Kenwood, and Denon are using Faroudja-based models now.