Are all DVD players created "somewhat" equal?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Anthony Chiu, Nov 29, 2003.

1. Anthony Chiu

Anthony Chiu Agent

My Mitsubishi 6030 seems to have a nicer picture than my new Sony DR-GX7 DVD recorder. Of course I'm referring to the playback of original store-bought DVD's.

The Sony seems to have more image noise.
    Could this be?

The Mitsubishi was a 175.00 player.
    The Sony is a 540.00 DVD recorder/player.

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Was your display adjusted for both players? Were the same connectors used? On what display were they used? There are vastly different settings required for players. The Mitsubishi of course does not have extra parts (and expense) to enable it to record either. It would not shock me that one could be better. Price does not always equate to better in either audio or video.

3. Anthony Chiu

Anthony Chiu Agent

I tried both units on the same TV, using the same connections. I simply unplugged one, then used the same plugs for the other connection.
    I found the color, and depth on the Mitsubishi much more pleasing than the Sony. I'm sure there's a setting somewhere that affects picture quality.

4. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Sonys are fairly low picture quality, they are fairly low on the big DVD player shootout list. The top-rated players have the Faroudja chipset like the Panasonic RP82,XP30,XP50 and Denon DVD-1600. Sonys have historically been some of the worst with the chroma bug. The DVD recorders are expensive for the recording section, most have actually inferior player sections.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Rather than just plugging and unplugging you may wish to try the Avia disc or something similar to calibrate for the particular DVD player. Settings can be quite different. The fact that the std. settings on the TV for one of the players looks better is not necessarily going to tell you which one looks better.

6. Anthony Chiu

Anthony Chiu Agent

I do apologize.
    This HT thing is fairly new to me, and I'm going through the learning process.

Where can I get the test disc?

7. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

There are many places to get test DVDs. I usually use deepdiscountdvd.com, good prices, free shipping.

(And no, I'm not an employee/owner of DDDVD.com).

8. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Anthony, the AVIA disc is sold at places that carry DVDs (any of the online sites, including I'm sure forum sponsors. There are other discs too. I just happen to have that one. The disc includes color filters (that one will hold up and look thru at the appropriate pattern) and test patterns that allow proper set-up of the display device (e.g. color, tint, brightness, etc.) and optimize it for the source being used. I've had numerous things hooked-up and the setting are vastly different. No need to apologize. That is why you are here (and that is why I responded to your post - to get information to maximize your system, whether it be with the equipment you have or posts about new equipment.

9. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    PS - if one goes to the site indicated by Bhagi (who also provided excellent advice) and uses code "DVDTALK" there is a 20% discount for around the next week. I just ordered two DVD-Audio discs for $17.71 incl. shipping.

10. Anthony Chiu

Anthony Chiu Agent

Thank you for your warm welcome.

I'll look into a test disc.

11. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  12. Anthony Chiu

Anthony Chiu Agent

Thanks, I just ordered it.