What's new

Are all Deep Space Nine sets a certainty? (1 Viewer)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I apologize if this has been addressed earlier-I could not find a thread specifically stating this.

I've been on the fence about the DS9 sets for a while. I have all 7 TNG sets and love them, and while I haven't seen a lot of DS9 before, I'm sure I'd like it enough to buy the sets. Like TNG, it's obvious that this series picked up steam with Season 3. To me the whole Dominion war is the most attractive part of owning the series. That said, I'm concerned that if sales on the first 2 seasons aren't great, Paramount may put the brakes on the rest of the seasons. I'd hate to get caught withthe few first few seasons only. But the catch-22 is, if I hold off until all 7 are available to buy them all at once, I may contribute to the lack of sales numbers on the initial sets.

Anyone have any commentary on this, or specifically, are we going to get all 7 seasons no matter what? I would certainly buy the sets as they come out if they are all definitely coming this year.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Thanks for the post. I assumed that's the plan, I was just wondering if there were any official press releases that state that.

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't be surprised if DS9 sells a LOT more sets than TNG did. While TNG had more viewers, DS9 has a lot more fans. And those fans are a lot more fanatic than other Star Trek fans.
Voyager on the other hand ...

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Yeah sales will probably drop of immensely for Voyager especially if Paramount expects to get $99 a seaon for it. I probably would pick up the 1st year of Voyager, but none after that. And the price on that set has to be good maybe $69 . I'd rather spend the Cash on B5

Sven Lorenz

Supporting Actor
Newsgroups, message boards, websites, conventions ...
The general consensus seems to be that DS9 was the best Trek show.
And many people who never really cared for Star Trek became big fans of DS9.
There's a whole sub-species of Trekkers who call themselves "Niners" and don't want to have anything to do with any other Star Trek show.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah sales will probably drop of immensely for Voyager
I don't know about "immensely"... I figure both Voyager and DS9 will sell significantly less than TNG, but don't know how they'll compare to each other. DS9 was the better show, but if you look at sales of books, comics, toys, trading cards, and all the other ancillary stuff Paramount licensed... Voyager absolutely clobbered DS9.

As much as the message-board fans may dismiss Voyager, it apparently does have a somewhat loyal audience that just may not be as visible, either because they don't need the derision identifying oneself as a Voyager fan brings on, or because it's just not a show that lends itself to discussion the way DS9 does.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I think DS9 might find a whole new legion of fans via the DVDs. I think this series, with its continuing storylines will work even better in the DVD format than it did in syndication.

One of the frustrations for being a fan of this show in "real time" was the often fluctuating air-times. My local station seemed to change the time every few months or so, and it would always be pre-empted by sports and aired at odd times.

Plus, DS9 re-runs have not aired as much as TNG has. I know it hasn't been on in the Detroit market for several years now.

I haven't seen the show in so long, watching the DVDs will be almost like experiencing them for the forst time.

I think many die-hard TNG fans stopped watching this show during the first season and they really missed out.

I'm looking forward to loaning my discs to my sister to prove that they actually left the station.

Britton

Screenwriter
My wallet needs a break after TNG, so I will wait until Worf shows up in Season 4 before I start buying DS9 sets on release days.

DeVario

Agent

I hope you enjoy them. There are many great episodes, even though the show was still finding its footing in the first two seasons. But if you like what you see, stick with it. You won't be disappointed. :)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I have added to TVShowsOnDVD all the release listings for Deep Space 9. Two of the dates have changed (the last two) compared to the ones originally posted at The Digital Bits' Rumor Mill.

The listing can be found here, and consists of clickable links to all known details about each release. In each's release listing is a link to Amazon's page for the item, in case you want to preorder it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks