What's new

Are Aftermarket Rims safe? (1 Viewer)

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
I've been kicking around the idea of getting some 20" or 22" rims for my Honda Ridgeline. A message board that I frequent (www.ridgelineownersclub.com) interviewed one of the chief designers of the Ridgeline. When they asked him about aftermarket rim, he went on and on about how unsafe they were and how Honda had the stock rims specifically designed to handle the loads expected with full payload etc. While this makes sense, is it just a case of Honda covering their own butts? I can't ever find meaningful specs on aftermarket rims suchs as max load ratings etc. This would lead credence to Honda as it seems there is no way for me to verify if a particular rim is as strong as the stock one. On the other hand, I've searched the web and can't find any stories of aftermarket rims breaking/bending. Are aftermarket rims for show only or can you still haul things? Do you think there are legitimate safty issues with them?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

Potholes and other objects you hit at speed can easily bend/destroy 19" and larger wheels the first time you hit them. The fact they are made from lightweight aluminum doesn't help their durability.

Now 14, 15, and 16" steel rims? Those are pretty indestructable, and the reason they are standard equipment on 99% of cars.

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
Potholes etc can also destroy factory wheels as well. Do you think typical 20" rims that everyone is modifing their cars with are weaker than factory aluminum wheels?

NeerajC

Agent
what type of environment will this vehicle be travelling; will be be a a daily driver that occasionally goes off-road, or a mall cruiser, or something that will haul stuff in its bed. depending on how you use it i would suggest to get rims that will take the abuse.

20" rims will raise your ride height, it will also affect the handeling of your vehicle. some vehicles, once lifted with rims, have what is called 'death wobble". this happens when you brake and the vehicle shakes violently because the rims/suspension are'nt able to take the loads put on the points.

im a jeep guy (had a few lifted jeeps in my past) so i can only let you know what to expect anytime you raise a vehicle.

good luck in your search.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
When buying any aluminum wheel one must consider the quality. Most cheap "dubs" are seriously 1 pc. recycled aluminum cans. There are some very good modular and forged wheels (Google these terms to educate) that with the proper fitment are just as safe as an OE wheel. Now, your ride will vary. I run 22's on the new 06 300's and they ride like butter but I'm not running a $180 Taiwanese special either. D'Vinci's modular line is nice and a bit more affordable. Lexani 3-pc forged are very nice if not overpriced. These companies are close to me though.

You are very right in asking this question though. Just about anyone in the US can sell a wheel for any car with absolutely no restrictions.

Tire Rack is a very helpful source. Nice guys there

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
I understand all the aspects of increasing the size of the tire but while I'm planing a larger rim, I'll use a lower profile tire to maintain the original diameter. That way, speedo, gearing, abs, etc. all stay the same.

As far as use, I don't do the rubicon or anything but my truck will see light trail / home depot duty so it has to remain functional.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Nowadays I do not believe you are correct. I would guess that the vast majority of cars are using 16's minimum with 17's and 18s being more comman.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
large SUVs and pick-ups aside, the cars that sell the most every years (the civics and focuses of the world) still use small steel wheels.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Aftermarket wheels look stupid and silly 95% of the time. The larger the wheels, the sillier tha vehicle looks.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think if you go with a name that is fairly trusted, you would do fine, if the price looks too good to be true, then it probably is. Tire Rack is good advice, they tend to stick to good quality mfgrs.

E

Eric Kahn

20 inch rims generaly means very thin low profile tires which is why the rims get damaged so easily, there is not enough tire there to protect the rim when you hit somthing

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks