What's new

Are 6 speakers necessary for DTS:Neo6? (1 Viewer)

Naddy

Grip
Hi all,

I have a receiver that has DTS:Neo6 capability, but I only have a 5.1 speaker system hooked up to the receiver. Can I still utilize DTS:Neo6, or do I need to have 6 speakers hooked up to the receiver?

Thanks for the help!

Naddy

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Naddy- You *have* 6 speakers! :) 5.1 = 5 + 1 = 6.

Seriously, DTS Neo 6 also works on a 5.1 system. Just a different way than DPL or DPL II to "expand" a stereo source from 2.0 to 5.1. As far as I know, DTS Neo 6 is strictly a DSP alg for a 5.1 speaker format, although there may be DSP versions out there for 6.1 and 7.1 systems. I guess a better question might be: why do they even called it DTS Neo "6" ?

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Kevin,

I guess a better question might be: why do they even called it DTS Neo "6" ?
Because Neo:6 is a matrix decoder that can create a 6th channel, the rear center. Neo:6 is also used to create the rear center channel for the DTS-ES Matrix mode.

It can be used for both 5.1 and 6.1 setups. Check question #7 on this page:

http://www.dtsonline.com/home/faq.shtml

Michael

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
As others have said, NEO:6 can be used with a 5.1 or 6.1/7.1 speaker setup. The reason that you don't see NEO:6 on any 5.1 receivers because it is included in the chipset that has DTS-ES since it is the basis for decoding the back surround channel from ES Matrix material.

Hope this helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks