What's new

Are 40GB DirecTivo's upgradeable? (1 Viewer)

Tim Holyoke

Second Unit
I don't know anything about upgrading Tivos, but I remember reading about people putting bigger HDs in standalone Tivos. Can you do this with the 40gb DirecTivos, be it an RCA, Philips, or whatever else? Thanks a lot.

Tim

Neil_S

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, and very easy to do (though the first one makes you pretty nervous).

I've got a 120gig drive (~110 hours recording time) in my DirecTiVo. If you want home help/tips feel free to PM me.

Neil

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
They are all made at the same factory using the same internal parts. The process with be the same for any model.

The older models came standard with a empty drive bay for a second hard drive. The newer models don't have this bay but companies like Weaknees and 9th Tee offer a bracket. The max size of a DirecTivo is dual 137GB drives. Since no one makes a 137GB drive, you have to use dual 160s and waste some space. Most people use the dual 120GB drives which provides a little over 200 hours of recording space.

-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It depends. The companies I listed above can also supply a fully functioning upgrade drive but you pay for a plug-n-play upgrade. You can get a blank drive and copy the Tivo OS from the original drive to the new drive with some widely available tools.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks