Are 40GB DirecTivo's upgradeable?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tim Holyoke, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

I don't know anything about upgrading Tivos, but I remember reading about people putting bigger HDs in standalone Tivos. Can you do this with the 40gb DirecTivos, be it an RCA, Philips, or whatever else? Thanks a lot.

Tim

2. Neil_S

Neil_S Stunt Coordinator

Yup, and very easy to do (though the first one makes you pretty nervous).

I've got a 120gig drive (~110 hours recording time) in my DirecTiVo. If you want home help/tips feel free to PM me.

Neil

3. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    They are all made at the same factory using the same internal parts. The process with be the same for any model.

The older models came standard with a empty drive bay for a second hard drive. The newer models don't have this bay but companies like Weaknees and 9th Tee offer a bracket. The max size of a DirecTivo is dual 137GB drives. Since no one makes a 137GB drive, you have to use dual 160s and waste some space. Most people use the dual 120GB drives which provides a little over 200 hours of recording space.

-Robert

4. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

Cool, thanks. So are they essentially as easy to upgrade as adding a HD to a computer? Thanks.

5. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    It depends. The companies I listed above can also supply a fully functioning upgrade drive but you pay for a plug-n-play upgrade. You can get a blank drive and copy the Tivo OS from the original drive to the new drive with some widely available tools.

-Robert

6. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Check out Weak Knees for pricing and info on upgrading to various sized HD's.

Alfer

7. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit