What's new

Are 3D Projectors worth it still? 2020 (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Fair enough, budget is always a consideration and that may hold true for a 6-year-old OLED as well although I didn’t look in to them 6 years ago and don’t know what their prices or HDR capabilities were. Plenty of owners were able to build or load custom curves to get acceptable results with the RS500 even without a processor or lens.

More relevant is the RS1000/NX5 which lists for $6000 with a lower street price. The RS1000 doesn’t need a Lumagen, MadVR or A lens to look amazing, it handles both HDR and 3D extremely well, the lens and processor just take it to another level.

I’m aware of someone else who made a similar decision and scraped his projector for a 77 inch OLED, even put the OLED in his theater room. I have both and personally prefer the OLED for regular TV viewing and occasional movies. It does look amazing and a family room allows multitasking, a nice fire in the fireplace, conversation, and a number of other advantages. For immersive movie watching I prefer a dedicated light-controlled theater with a large scope screen. A 77 inch just can’t compare. I don’t take your comments as argumentative, we all have preferences and can both be right.

I couldn't agree more but I'm beginning to concentrate more on the the audio experience for my dedicated room. I just feel there's more potential for impactful improvement there. My 135" screen and Epson 6050UB look amazing to my aging eyes. I am impressed with some HDR titles but more of them have left me wishing I had just settled for the standard Blu Ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks