Are 24" stands tall enough for surrounds?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CoreyH, Apr 29, 2002.

1. CoreyH

CoreyH Stunt Coordinator

Here's just a real quick question.

I am planning on buying a pair of Infinity IL10s as surrounds for my system. I need to place them on stands, and was wondering if 24" stands would be tall enough to get them at the correct height. The IL10s are ~15" tall, so the total height would be 39"ish. Is anybody using 24" stands, and do they get your speakers high enough to get over the back of your seating, and to the correct placement for surround?

I'm considering the Sanus NF24's, as the stands. Any other stand suggestions?

Should I just get the IL30s, which are floor standing instead?

I currently have wall hanging surrounds, so I've never needed stands before.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I made some that are about 30" tall, and they are the perfect height. I could have made them a little shorter, but they are fine.

3. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

24" is the perfect height for the IL10's. It puts the tweeter right at ear level when seated on a couch.

4. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

When using direct radiators as surrounds the height is important. Ideally you want them above ear level. I use a set of Concertinos but only have them on 36 inch stands. Not the ideal height, but its the best I can do right now.

5. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I use the Sanus N24s for my rears, B&W 601S2s. They're just the right height.