Are 2 ButtKickers too much for a sofabed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Campbell, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Dave Campbell

Which is the best bass shaker option with my K2 amp:
    (a) 2 ButtKickers and a seperate amp for sub.
    (b) 1 ButtKicker bridged and a seperate amp for sub.
    (c) 1 Buttkicker and sub per channel.
    Concerns before purchase:
    Option (a) appears to be overkill but I have the option of adding a Kicker to another furniture in the future, (b) might not utilize the full output of the K2 and (c) would present vastly different loads to each channel which might not be a good thing.
    Please advise.
    TIA

2. John H

John H Second Unit

I use a pair of original Buttkickers to activate a queen size adjustable bed.

The bed rests on two 2'x4'x¾" platforms fitted with isolation feet from kinetics noise control. One for each pair of bed frame legs. I have one BK unit mounted to each platform. Each is driven by a bridged Crown K2.

The K2 is rated at 800w per channel @ 4ohms This would be a little weak to drive a BK to it's full potential. The manufacture recommends 750 minimum. I wouldn't suggest using anything less than a amp rated at 1000W @ 4ohms on a BK.

I would not recommend your option C

Option A may work since you would be using 2 BK's with 800w to each.

Your option B is what I would recommend.

John

3. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I'm using just 1 BK2 mounted as recommended under my livingroom floor. I'm using the Carvin 1000 amp bridged.

Even though I've tuned mine to be on the subtle side, when some really heavy bass erupts on a soundtrack, my whole sectional sofa shudders.

If you were to use 2, you'd certainly have a whole lotta shakin' goin' on.

4. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Dave:
    Yes, I think two of Buttkickers on a single sofabed could be a bit of overkill.
    I've got two loveseats with an original Buttkicker attached to each. They are connected to a Carvin 2000 watt stereo amplifier with both channels in parallel.
    Carvin DCM2000 2,000 Watt Professional Amplifier
    The Buttkickers are rather large and I doubt you will have enough space inside the sofabed to attach them directly to it. I used a 3/4" MDF platform under each loveseat. The Buttkickers were attached to the platforms and each platform was isolated from the concrete floor of my home theater by six rubber toilet bowl plungers. (Well, I had to economize somewhere! :b I got them at the Dollar Store at a buck a piece. [​IMG] )
    ButtKicker Tactile Transducers
    To be able drive the Carvin amplifier to full power (momentary clipping) I used a Rolls PA71 7watt amplifier to boost the subwoofer output level from my Lexicon MC-1 processor.
    Rolls PA71 Plus 7-Watt Amplifier
    One thing I like about the Buttkickers is you don't need to use low pass filters to avoid shaking when listening to male voices, etc. It kicks in, ususally violently, when when there's serious bass, and only then.
    I hope this helps.
    Larry

5. MarkFrab

MarkFrab Agent

I think I'll butt in...
    Get it? Butt in? :b
    Ah, piss off, I think it's funny. [​IMG]
    Anyway, I've got a queen size sofabed and a reclining loveseat. Each has it's own BK2 attached to its frame (no platforms here). It was a tight fit, but it works. I bolted the BK2 to a 2x8 (or was it a 2x10?) and then I screwed the 2x8 to the frame. No part of the 2x8 extends past the frame, so stubbed toes are a thing of the past.
    I power them with a single Carvin DCM2000 in "parallel" mode (700wpc continuous RMS). Parallel means that a mono input is sent each of the stereo channels. Each channel has it's own level output adjustment knob but they both output identical (but for amplitude) waveforms.
    I had to boost my pre/pro sub output with a Radio Shack SA-155 amp. I've also got a Behringer Ultrabass Pro 1200 between the SA-155 and the DCM2000. The Ultrabass Pro generates bass sub-harmonics below and in complement to the original signal.
    Long story short, the single BK2 for the sofabed driven with 700w@4 ohms is [rant]plenty[/rant]. I don't know too much about the K2, but if it really is 800wpc into 4 ohms as the gentleman above states - then you have enough power to easily drive the BKs. Guitammer actually recommends a minimum of 400w to drive the BK2, not 750w.
    {online research}
    OK, I just checked the specs for the K2. Nice equipment. If you don't have a piece of furniture to connect your 2nd BK to, I'd pick option C. Your amp has separate level controls for each channel, which would allow tailoring amplitude for the BK vs the sub. It also has a "parallel" input switch, so you'd get the same signal (except for amplitude) at both the BK and the sub.
    [rant]Go with option C.[/rant] If you'd like to see pictures of my BK setup, let me know an I'll send you some through email.
    Regards.

6. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Stunt Coordinator

Mark helped to jog my memory, and as in his situation I have both channels of the Carvin amp in parallel, not bridged as I originally posted earlier. I've corrected my posting to avoid misinformation.
    I would also agree with Mark that if you can physically fit the Buttkickers, and directly attach them to your seating, without catching your sofa on fire, [​IMG] then that is definately the way to go.
    Larry

7. John H

John H Second Unit

8. MarkFrab

MarkFrab Agent

John,

Are you saying that if the EX1200 is set to the 2-octave setting, it doesn't generate the 1st octave? Or are you saying you want the 1st sub-harmonic octave to be double-punched-up?

Which output from the EX1200 do you use: the subwoofer or the satellite?

I find that the subwoofer output only contains the generated bass, so I feed my amp from the satellite out with the ultrabass switch in.

Regards.

9. John H

John H Second Unit

Mark,

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I agree with Mark too. C would be my choice. I currently have a Crown CE1000 (can't afford a K2[​IMG] ), an array of Aura Shakers (cant afford a BK2[​IMG] ), and a DIY Tempest sub.
    The sub and shakers each have their own channel from my amp and this works out great. Keeps cost of another amp and I still have full control of each ch. I'm sure the K2 has plenty of power to drive the BK2. Try out this option before you go out and buy another amp.