Are 2.1 computer speakers almost extinct?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by MichaelBryant, Feb 10, 2004.

1. MichaelBryant

MichaelBryant Stunt Coordinator

I really don't have enough desktop space for more than two speakers and evidently I must be alone. I'm shopping for a 2.1 system for my computer and all I can find at department stores are Bose Companion 3's for 250.00 and a Klipsh model for 150.00. There is another brand of Bose computer speaker calle Media Mates without a sub for 99.00. I'm leaning towards these because of the price factor.

Is it possible to buy a 5.1 system and just use two of the speakers? If this is possible I might just do that instead.

2. Nick Breckon

Nick Breckon Stunt Coordinator

Gak, go for the Klipsch Promedia 2.1's. I've got the 5.1's, which is basically 2.1's plus the center and rear speakers. They're very nice speakers for a computer setup, and the sub is no slouch - it's worth the $50 over the Bose, trust me.

3. BradD

BradD Stunt Coordinator

4. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Try newegg.com they are pretty much the most respected online computer retailer around

5. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I own the bose mediamate speakers ( . . .hangs head in shame . . .) but they honestly sound pretty good. However, they do not sound as good as the Klipsch speakers. I listened to those in the store and was very impressed. I plan to list my bose on ebay for an inflated price and then upgrade sometime soon. As far as bose products go, these actually sound pretty good, but for only $50 more I'd definitely get the Klipsch (or look for them on Ebay or on sale somewhere)

6. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Look into: Sonigistix Monsoon speakers.

7. RayM

RayM Agent

I got a 2.1 setup with the Dell computer I jsut purchased. Its manufactured by or maybe just labeled as Dell. Harmon Kardon and Altec Lansing both make 2.1 setups.

8. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I also have the Mediamates. For what they are, they actually do fairly decent. They get a lot of air moving in that port, though the enclosure is a little thin and resonant.

9. Mike^C

Mike^C Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    For computer speakers, I generally prefer either Altec Lansing or Creative Labs which incidently owns Cambridge Soundworks.

10. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

SONY headphones here.

11. MichaelBryant

MichaelBryant Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for all the suggestions. I should have done some internet searching before posting this topic since it's obvious there are still numerous 2.1 systems still around. Thanks again!

12. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Why buy computer speakers when you can buy a decent set mini monitors types for this purpose? Buy a set of atoms,superzeroes, or n24s and match it up with an old integrated amp or an amp with front volume controls such as the audiosource amp1 or amp 3 and really reward yourself.