What's new

Ardee Lighting for theater, 12V or 120V? (1 Viewer)

John D S

Auditioning
I know nothing about lighting and electrical.

What's the difference between recessed lights that are 12volt or 120volt? Is one better for home theater use and why? I will be using Lutrons grafikeye to control the lights. I will have 6 canned recessed lights. 1 ardee clickstrip, 4 wall sconces, and rope lighting. The lutron 2440 unit I ordered works with incandescent and magnetic transformers but not electronic transformers. This means nothing to me. Please help me so I dont buy the wrong lights? thanks

John D S

Low voltage lights require a transformer to convert your 120 house voltage to the lower voltages (12 or 24) used for low voltage lighting (like Ardee's products). There are two types of transformers: (1) magnetic, and (2) electronic. You have two sides .... the line voltage (120 v) side of the circuit and the low voltage (12v) side of the circuit.

Most dimmers work on the line voltage side. In other words, they are installed between the power source (your home's circuit breaker) and the transformer. Therefore, you're "dimming" the transformer along with the lights. This is not a problem for Magnetic Low Voltage Transformers. However, Electronic Low Voltage Transfomers can overheat, burn out, and/or cause damage to your dimmer UNLESS the Electronic Transfomer has been specifically rated for dimming. If it has been rated for dimming, you can use it with your Grafik Eye. NOTE: Even if rated for dimming, some electronic transformers will buzz or hum (as will the fixtures) when dimmed. If so, you'd need to use an Electronic Low Voltage Interface (available from Lutron).

A magnetic low voltage transformer will be relatively large and heavy for its size (it's got a big, heavy magnet in it) and generally in a metal box or case. An electronic transformer will be a small, rather light, and in a plastic box or case. If the electronic transformer is suitable for dimming it will say so on the transformer's label. Ardee has both Electronic and Magnetic transformers for their Clikstrip fixtures. Their electronic transformers are rated for dimming applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks