Archiving To PC

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joe McKeown, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

In my reading about Replay and TiVo I understand both can archive to a PC, but neither website acknowledges this.

I understand that archiving is easier on the Replay than on the TiVo, but Replay's 4500 FAQ flat-out says thay can't do it at all. Is this a 5000 only feature? the pages for the 5000 make no mention one way or the other.

My questions are: Can Both TiVo and Replay, archive programs to PC?

Assuming yes, Can the PC's access the shows; or do they save in some propritary format that needs to be sent back to the DVR?

Since I have a hard time deleting ANYTHING, (I'm a real pack-rat) I figure the ideal situation would be to be to be able to record something on the DVR, then (if I can't part with it) transfer it to the PC for burning onto a VCD or, better yet, DVD-R.

Well, How close can I get to this; can I have my way? or am I SOL?

2. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    I now have in my hands a VCD that plays perfectly in my Sony DVD player...and looks as close as it can get to TiVo quality too!!!

Here's my work flow:

- Retrieve Ty file from TiVo using TyStudio
    - Cut out erroneous programming with TyStudio
    - Create Mpeg with TyStudio using the following settings: SVCD, 44100 audio
    - Perform the header trick (as my Sony DVD player won't play SVCD's but it will play VCD's) - use TMPGEnc - settings - Very important - choose "MPEG-1 Video-CD" as your header
    - Burn with Nero. Very important, uncheck the "MAKE COMPLIENT CD" chekbox

There's alot of info here...lemme know if you need more info...

-Mike

3. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Easy with replaytv. Get DVArchive from sourceforge.net and use that to download shows from the 4xxx and 5xxx series of replaytvs.

ReplayTV MPEGs are pretty standard, and you can create DVDs if you have an editing and authoring package.

Tons of info on avsforum about this.

4. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Oh, missed a question. On the sending back to the replayTVs... can't do it, not yet anyway. DVArchive does act like a replayTV on your LAN so you can use it to serve (remote playback, not uploading to the replayTV) files back to the replayTV in your living room. I believe Gerry designed as a way to create a media server for his replayTV 4000. There is a lot of cool funcionality including scheduling the application to move new shows to your PC and delete them from the replay, this allows you to keep lots of free space on your replay (no need to add a new drive!)

DVArchive is a java application so it works on any platform that supports java 1.4.1 (or some version like that)