What's new

Arcam/Outlaw/Denon/Yamaha (1 Viewer)

kevinNY

Auditioning
Arcam's AVR-300, the Outlaw 770/950 combo. Yamaha rxv-2500, Denon 3805. I have read great review on each. Every time I think I have made a decision I read something else.

I am starting (over again) with the receiver/seperates. So the speakers I am driving at not yet selected. Obviously I want something that will be able to take on anything I chose.

So, am I getting that much more by going Outlaw or Arcam? Are they worth $1000.00 more than the other two? Are the Yamaha and Denon capable of fitting the bill?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Out of those, the Arcam is going to sound the best, IMO. The Outlaw stuff will give you the most power, but probably not quite as good of sound quality as the Arcam - will still sound great though. Are they worth more? Yes, but if you haven't selected speakers, do you really NEED more? How big is your room? Do you at least have a few speaker manufacturers in mind? IMO, you need to strongly consider both the speakers and receiver/pre & amp at the same.

kevinNY

Auditioning
Thanks John. As of today, I am looking at the Def Tech BP 7002 and the Paridigm Studio 100v.3 as the mains. I would then match the center and surounds.

Def Tech are very efficient, so I am thinking that Arcams true 100x7 is enough. I'm not sure about the Paridgms.

My room is 15x22, but is open to the kitchen.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Then stay away from receivers as your powersource,and invest in seperate power amps,you could still use any receiver as a pre/pro though.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
The Arcam has enough juice, don't worry about that. The Arcam is known as "entry level audiophile" for getting into 2 channel music. That is what you are going to get for the extra $$$. If you don't care about 2 channel I would consider the Denon or the Yamaha as they will work just fine for HT (and have more features I think) and save you some money. I'd be checking out used seperates for that kind of money as well: audiogon.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks