Arcam goes SACD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Danny Tse, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

One of the last non-SACD hardware manufacturers have finally given in (joining NAD, Cambridge Audio and Harman Kardon this year). While Arcam's website still has a pro-DVD-A technical paper (pdf file), it has announced its first universal player, the DV137 (another pdf file). The DV137 is so new that it's not even on Arcam's website.

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I also just found out about the Arcam on AVS. I did not know about Cambridge Audio. (They have a good rep for very good quality at reasonable prices.)

I am always a fan of "from the ground up" designs, and the Arcam is one. NAD's, and Parasound also has one coming, I don't think are. They both also have Faroudja processing, which equals macroblocking with the wrong displays.

So for those who think that HD-DVD and Blu-ray are the future, I say phooey on youey [​IMG], because there are still manufacturers out there concentrating on improving the audio and video quality of SD players.

3. Blair G

Blair G Second Unit

The Cambridge DV89 will likely be one of the least expensive unversals out there. (More than Toshiba or Samsung, less than Denon 1920).

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summar...13&Title=DVD89

The innards are apparently the same as Oppo with mods and/or additions.

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Samsung builds those Toshiba players, correct? [​IMG] I sure hope one of them has level controls for the 5.1 hi-res analog outputs because some of the previous Samsungs do not, a glaring omission.

FYI: Pioneer DV-588 universal for $130. Unlike the previous 578 & 563 models, I have yet to read about any firmware problems with this one. And don't hold me to this, but somewhere recently I read it has an 80Hz crossover for the hi-res formats (the 563 had a 200Hz crossover for dvd-audio [bleh!!] and 120Hz for sacd).

Now back to the original thread............

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    LOL, last year I asked why Arcam didn't have a universal player, and the salesperson said because they don't feel it is the better format. So is it economics? Consumer demand? Or have they come up with something that will overcome what they considered "shortcomings" of SACD? I look forward to hearing this player as well as the Cambridge (which I will probably buy).

6. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Actually, Cambridge Audio has released 2 universal player this year....

Cambridge Audio DVD-87

Cambridge Audio DVD-89

Since we are on the subject of new universal players from formerly DVD-A hardward manufacturers, here's the new Harman Kardon DVD 47.....

Harman Kardon DVD 47

For those who are interested in the Denon 1920, Denon also market a very similar, but discounted model (currently $300.00 at J&R)....

Denon DVD-756S

7. John Garcia

John
    Cool, I hadn't checked Cambridge's site. I only read about them releasing one... Too bad my local CA dealer went under [​IMG]

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Anyone know the list prices of the Cambridge machines?

9. John Garcia

John
    MSRP according to AA, is $329 for the 87 though they don't list it for the 89.