Arcam AVR-200

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donald Shrum, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

OK, I unforunately had to sell my seperates due to some bills and have downgraded to a reciever. I bought a Marantz SR6200 and played with it. Then I got my hands on a Sony ES DA3ES. Well, I am running MArtin Logans for my front and Energy Acoustic for center and rears. The martin logans are a hard speaker to drive and a speaker that will allow me to hear the flaws in the sound. I'll start off by telling you what I am running for a system. DVD is a Pioneer DV-09, Martin Logn fronts, EA center and rears, Velodyne HGS10 for movies and REL Strata III for music and I am using a Kimber Digital PCM cable and interconnects. Speaker wires is all Kimber 8tc.

I'll start with the Sony DA3ES. Although the Sony is a featured packed unit, it wasn't to bad. Let me explain why. It was the loudest, boomiest and britest of the 3 recievers i tried out. The bass was sloppy, the LFE, even on the REL sub, was sloppy. The mids and highs had no depth, and imaging was, well not to good. Although it did have lots of features, for music, its not a soundQ piece that i am looking for. All the 5.1 and DTS wasn't bad, the sloppyness was still there.

So after I sold that piece, I bought a Marantz 6200. Good sounding unit. Very warm and natural sounding. Just didn't have enough output, not to mention that when turn up to its limit, it would shut off due to the load the martin logans where giving it. Bass was natural and tight. Mids and highs where smooth, imaging was well placed and depth was ok. Biggest complaint about this piece would be the remote and the on screen GUI. I would have been happy if it could've lived with the martin logans.

Now, I sold the Marantz and bought a Arcam AVR200. from the begging, this unit sounded SWEET. smooth, acurate, powerful and easy to use. onscreen isn't pretty like the Sony, but its not anoying like the marantz. The depth, the staging, the sound was so smooth, so real, this unit sounds better than my when I had Adcom Seperates. I was just getting something to hold me off till i can afford my cary amps and new EAD processor, but i didn't think i'd like it as much as i do. I am not good at writing but I am just trying to share my expiriances with you guys.

Donald

2. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

So are we to assume you are now happy with the Arcam? In that case congrats on finding something you liked to replace your seperates [​IMG]
    BTW, did you play around with the EQ setings on the 3ES before giving up on that receiver?

3. Donald Shrum

Donald Shrum Stunt Coordinator

I come from seperates where I run everything flat. So i used the direct in from all 3 units. So no, i didn't play with the EQ.

Donald

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I don't own your particular Arcam product, but I do have the Arcam CD-72T CD player, which I bought only a couple of weeks ago and I'm extremely impressed with this unit, so I completely understand your appreciation of this company's outstanding sound. Only a couple of other similarly priced CD players were available for me to audition in this area, but the Arcam definitely stole the cake sonically over the others for my taste. And, to think, I've heard this takes 100 or more hours break in time. It'll be heaven then. As a matter of fact, I'm listening to the superb Beethoven's 5th Symphony, with Carlos Kleiber conducting the Vienna Philharmonic, as I type.