Aragon

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian P, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Brian P

Brian P Extra

Is the original Palladium a good amp? I don't see much info on it on the web. I wonder how it compares to something newer like a Rotel 1090. I bought a pair with a rl-11 preamp to drive some Martin and Logans and I'm wondering if its the best matchup, especially for the money I paid. They were old floor models but I'm suppose to retain full warranty which makes the deal alot better imo. I need a better source to really tell but I'm out of cash and nows the time to decide.(I assume he'll take them back [​IMG]) I kinda bought outa impulse and am having second thoughts. Any ideas?

2. Tim Baldwin

Tim Baldwin Stunt Coordinator

Brian,

There is no comparison between these monoblocks and something like a Rotel. Up to 125W in class A, and massive power in AB mode. Your system may be a bit unbalanced tho, as they probably deserve a much better preamp than the RL11. You might be better served by reapporitoning your funds, but you'll probably love the amps.

3. Brian P

Brian P Extra

I don't know what the Rotel will do in class a(my speakers are 4 ohms) but it has more total output. The specs show the rotel putting out 1500 watts at 2 ohms where the Palladium puts out 1000. Sound quality is really the issue I guess since I doubt I'd ever reach these levels of power. Still think the aragon is a better amp? Thanks for the feedback...

4. AndyN

AndyN Agent

I believe that the Palladiums were one time Stereophile favorites. Before I got my Aragon 8008x3 and the 8008BB I remember reading that they were ALMOST as good as the palladiums yet they were best in class AT THAT TIME. So for whatever it's worth, I believe they were considered one of the best amps out there.

Andy

5. joe logston

joe logston Stunt Coordinator

brian can i ask what you paid for them, i want to get a idea what it would cost me to get aragon, i think they are one of the best out there, nomatter how old they are.

6. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Joe:

I just bought a mint condition, used 8008x3 for $1200.

Currently on uBid, you can buy a new 8008ST for just under $1000 and a new 8002 for somewhere around $700 or less, depending -- of course -- on how the auctions go.

The other day uBid briefly posted a new 8008x5 on a BuyItNow offer for around $1830, as I recall. Pretty good deal, I thought. And it lasted about 45 seconds.

7. Brian P

Brian P Extra

Promise you won't laugh! I gave 3k for the pair with the pre-amp. They're suppose to have full factory warranty since they were floor models.(Awaiting a response from Mondail) Did I get ripped off?:b

8. Joe Cole

Joe Cole Second Unit

Brian,

3K is very good price for those amps. I lowest I have seen them now that a new line is coming out is 3.5K. They are fine amps!

9. Brian P

Brian P Extra

This is the Palladium one now not the two. If this were the two I wouldnt even think twice. Still a good deal? I figured it equated to $500 for the pre-amp and 2.5k for the amps.

10. Brian P

Brian P Extra

*bump*

11. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

I will echo what Tim Baldwin said earlier in this thread, the Rotel is no comparison to the Palladium. [​IMG]
    I also own the Aragon 8008x3 and the 8008BB and the Palladium's were and still are Aragon's top of the line amplifier.
    You will have no problem driving your Martin Logans.

12. Brian P

Brian P Extra

Thanks for the peace of mind guys...