Aragon Stage One Questions?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ted Pugh, Sep 9, 2003.

1. Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh Stunt Coordinator

I have an opportunity to get the Aragon Stage One from an authorized dealer for around $2500.00. How does this compare with other pre/pros in this price range? I know it is missing a few items but the sound is pretty nice. How would it compare to the high end receivers from Denon (5803) and B&K 507 or the Pioneer 49TXi. Thanks for your input.

Ted

2. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well remember the Stage One needs an amp to power the speakers. As for it matching to other recievers, if you leave the amp section out it uses much more advanced processors than recievers which is one reason it is so expensive. Not to mention it is a very high quality component unlike some other processors. If I had the money I would grab it in a heart beat. I've heard Aragon before and although I love my HK and would go with no other reciever, for a processor I don't think the Aragon can be beat, but it's my opinion of course.

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

Check www.audiogon.com for prices on used Stage Ones. Just type in Aragon in the search box. Aragon has a fine reputation, although some are now wary since the company was bought by Klipsch.

4. ChrisLazarko

Even though it was bought by Klipsch I have heard there new products and I gotta just say wow. It is a beautiful looking piece not to mention that it sounds incredibly even though it doesn't have all the extra bells and whistles.

5. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

The Stage One sounds very good, is easy to use, and looks great. $2500 is a great price for a new one. My friend bought my Stage One and loves the sound quality and THX Ultra2 mode (he upgraded from an MC1). I have a Soundstage with the 7.1/digital upgrade and very happy with it. Do a search for Aragon and you can read some threads (from the past several months).

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    One thing to be aware of, if you require them, is that the Stage One doesn't have XLR inputs or outputs.

7. Ted Pugh

Thanks for the responses. Everything I have read points to this as being a really nice processor. I am looking for something very simple and easy to use and this seems to point towards the Aragon. I am one of those that is not totally convinced that seperates are that much better than flagship receivers but I am willing to find out with this piece do to the fact it is such a good deal and hard to pass up plus I love the sound and looks. I am interested in placing it in my system and see how it stacks up vs my Denon 4802 and B&K 200.5. Hopefully my amp will match up well with the Aragon if I go this route.

Ted

8. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Would you get black or silver? Are you going to 6.1 or 7.1 anytime soon?

9. ChrisLazarko

Well I think that the Aragon is definantly much better than Flagship recievers but just remember your going to need an amp, so don't slack off on a bad amp or else then quality will go down a little bit...

10. Ted Pugh

Chris,

I currently own a B&K 200.5 amp and plan on getting another B&K amp (200.5) or an Aragon 2007 amp and sell my B&K 200.5. I want to go to 7.1 soon. So everyone agrees this will be a better processor than say a Denon 5803. How reliable is the Stage One. Bullet proof from want I have been reading.

Thanks.

11. DaveLenhert

DaveLenhert Stunt Coordinator

I have the upgraded Acurus ACT-3, which uses the same DSPs as the Stage One. I have to agree completely that they are excellent DSPs & DACs. Prior to the upgrade, I listened to the Stage One, it’s a nice pre/pro and absolutely gorgeous! I'm not a LCD remote person and don't need the THX stuff that it offered, so I only upgraded the ACT3 instead of trading in to the Stage One. I really love the sound of it, crisp, clear, articulate, and quiet. It absolutely knocked the socks off my Denon 3801 receiver (with the same amp used with the ACT-3), the Denon was muffled sounding, and had a noticeable DSP hiss which really bothered me. I was really unhappy with the Denon and how it sounded with classical music, part of the reason why I got an outboard amp, which really didn’t help a whole lot acoustically in my system. So I was on the hunt for a good CDP when the ACT-3 fell into my lap, the DSPs are so nice that I stopped looking for a CDP and just use the digital connection from my DVD player to the pre/pro for signal processing.

I have been very pleased with Mondial Designs general concept for pre/pro design. It’s a minimalist approach, the front display is clean and to the point. If you select a source, it remembers the last used format and auto applies it which helps with macro creation. Just look at the Anthem AVM-20, it just LOOKS complicated.

For $2500, go for it, nice price for a gorgeous unit.

-Dave

12. Ted Pugh

Dave,

That is one of the things that interest me a great deal with the Stage One. I do not need any multi zone capabilities and was looking for something that would give me a noticeable upgrade over the Denon 4802. You are correct in saying it is a gorgeous unit.

Ted

13. Ted Pugh

Chris,

I currently own a B&K 200.5 amp and plan on getting another B&K amp (200.5) or an Aragon 2007 amp and sell my B&K 200.5. I want to go to 7.1 soon. So everyone agrees this will be a better processor than say a Denon 5803. How reliable is the Stage One. Bullet proof from want I have been reading.

Thanks.