What's new

Aragon stage one or Denon 4802 (1 Viewer)

Darrel McBane

Second Unit
I've owned the Stage One for over a year now. Besides being a beautiful piece of equipment. It has runs flawlessly. That means a lot in the HT world.

I also run Klipsch speakers in my HT area. And use a Rotel 1095 amp (200wpcX5@8ohm) for front, center and rear speakers. Along with a Carver Cube amp (200wpcX2@8ohm)for the rear center speakers. Certainly more power than I really need. Maybe more power than is required. But, I get every bit of sound out of my system that can be got.

I admit that I'm a power hound. But, I've alway felt that people under power their systems. More than over power their systems. But, to each their own I guess. :)

Best of luck.

nikhil m

Auditioning
well if i get teh aragon sound stage alone for now do you think i could use my current 3802 as an amp? and have the aragon stage one as a processor the stage one price alone is 2500

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
nikhil,

I would get the Stage One for 2500, and spend 500 on a used 5 channel amp that gets 100-140 wpc. Used amps are the best value in audio. There are several models in the 400-600 range: parasound 885/1205, acurus 125x5, harman kardon signature 2.1, rotel 985, etc. Then, down the road, if you move to 7.1, you can add a 2 channel amp to drive your mains.

I also know someone who might be selling his Acurus 200x5 :)

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
only if your 3802 has preamp-in for 6 ch. I think some label it "power-in". Not likely. Most AVRs have 6ch pre-outs.

Aragons (and their late brother Acurus) are know for their minimalist/short signal path/neutrality approach. This month's SGHT review on the Stage One + 3005 combo supports that.

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
nikhil-

I'm probably a little late in this discussion, but I'll put my 2 cents in anyways.... Ricky_T does have a point that Klipsch speakers don't NEED much power. However, that isn't the only part to the equation!!!! First and foremost, you need a QUIET amp (and preamp, and source), otherwise, due to the high efficiency you will hear a considerable amount of hiss from the horns. You should definitely be able to hear a considerable amount with the Denon 3802, and this was one of the MAJOR points that was driving me insane with my Klipsch RF3s & Denon 3801. The HIGH power amps tend to be much noisier unless you pay lots of $$$ for them, something in the 80 - 125 watt/channel range will do fine. I run a Parasound HCA-1205A (125 watts per channel) and it works fine power wise, but could be a tad quieter for hiss levels, but it isn't bad and a considerable step up from the Denon 3801.

As for the preamp...get the Stage One! NO question! Ted Pugh had the same experience that I had when I upgraded my Denon 3801 to an Acurus ACT-3 (with upgraded DSP, ie same DSPs as the Stage One) with a Parasound HCA-1205A. There is simply no comparison between the two, the ACT-3 was crisp, clear, and very musical. I was never happy with the music (Classical) with the denon, it was dull and lifeless, but the first time I installed the ACT-3, the hair on my arms stood up, everything that I had complained about the sound was gone...very detailed and clean, it finally let the music shine! Plus the DSPs on the ACT-3 are very quiet, which cut down on the annoying hiss from the Klipsch horns!

Hope this helps....
-Dave

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
David,

Some say the most important aspect of an amp (or receiver's amp) is how the 1st watt sounds! And for Klipsch owners with 97+ db sensitivity speakers who rarely use more than the 1st watt, that would certainly apply more than ever.

Nikhil,

Used 6 channel amps might be useful as the extra channel will enable you to add a rear center later; or just have more headroom with the other 5 channels with one channel open. The Parasound 806 80x6 goes for 450-500 used (retail 1200, 50 hefty lbs). The bigger 1206 135x6 goes for 650-750 used. Rotel's 976 is 60x6. I think B&K makes a small 6 channel amp too.

nikhil m

Auditioning
Thanks for all the advice guys i do have a rear channel currently im using two jbl's but i think if i get all this high end equip im going to get rid of those speakers they were cheap speakers with an old old system

As far as teh hiss goes i dont hear much hiss at all on my 3802 dunno why but i dont.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Dave:

I assume your ACT-3 is upgraded to 7.1 and not just the 5.1 + Advance Bass Mgmt? If so, how does it compare? I know I can't upgrade anymore.

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan-

Yeah, it was upgraded to the 7.1 DSPs, ala Stage One DSPs. I'm afraid that I can't really compare between the "old" ACT-3 and the "new" ACT-3. The reason is that I purchased it new on closeout from Mondial Designs, but the DSP board died almost instantly on install. So it was sent to Mondial for repair, and I ended up having it upgraded at the same time. So, I'm afraid I couldn't compare. A few of the other owners that upgraded noted that the DSPs were quieter then the origional ones, but other then that I don't remember their comments.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks