What's new

Aragon stage one or Denon 4802 (1 Viewer)

nikhil m

Auditioning
My question is other than more power will there be a very big difference between these two for movies in terms of sound quality? Im thinking about buying one or the other. Which will sound better primarily for movies. And what amp would you couple the aragon with.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
nikhil m,

I just upgraded in December from a Denon 4802 to the Aragon Stage One pre/pro and I can tell you there was a world of difference between the two. The Aragon opened my speakers up and the sound stage became so much bigger with better panning from side to side and front to back. Everything just seems more crisp and accurate.

I paired my Stage One up with a B&K 200.5 amp and looking to get a B&K 200.2 amp for 7.1.

Buy the Aragon. You will be much happier and that is coming from a life long Denon lover.

Ted

itai

Stunt Coordinator
hi
i heard an aragon stage one, with their 2007 amp, (driving a set of definitive speakers), in a store (went in to check on projectors), and i was blown away (!!!) by this combo. as i have a humble 3802 (driving paradigm ref setup), i cant compare it to 4802, but it definitly is something from a whole other leage.
no reciever can touch this. sound was SWEET and LOUD and CLEAN!!!!
:emoji_thumbsup:

nikhil m

Auditioning
I too currently have a 3802 so your saying this will be a worth while upgrade. Thanks for the advice everyone if anyone else has more to say feel free to post.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
I knew I shouldn't have read this! Shit!

I dream of owning the Stage One with a 2005 power amp.
I have the Acurus ACT-3 and I love it.

$4000 for the pair is a steal. If I only wasn't buying a house.......

nikhil m

Auditioning
Room is about 15x20
i have teh klipsch reference series rf 7 rc 5 rs 7 and the rsw 12" sub

currently i have a 3802

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
Your speakers are very efficient; you probably will not use more than 30 continuous watts. As much as I love Aragon gear, I think your best bang for the buck is something like the HK AVR7200 for $787 (retail 1800, solid 100 watts per channel, hefty 53 lbs):

http://ww3.onecall.com/PID_18440.htm

nikhil m

Auditioning
So go for neither denon nor aragon? will the harmon process as well as the aragon or denon? Will the harmon be a step up from the denon 3802 ?

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
No, the HK preamp section won't be as good as the Stage One's. But the HK processing should be ahead of the 3802 (and 4802). 800 bucks is alot lower than 4000. Try the HK; you can always sell it on ebay for about the same price if you don't feel the upgrade was big enough.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
Get the Aragon. HK is ok but its just a mass produced receiver. The Aragon is a great set of separates you'll be happy with for years to come. The HK model recommended will be gone next year with something else cheaper taking its place. Don't buy the idea that because the Klipsch speakers are very efficient you do not need the extra power of a separate amp. Go to Klipsch Forum and do a search or post a thread and look at the responses. Many owners of your speakers use 200 wpc power amps to great effect. Finally, the pride of ownership of the Aragon gear is a real factor in the decision too.;) One of the things you always see on these forums is buyers going the cheap route. Two or three months later they get an uneasy feeling that they are missing out on something. Two or three months later their gear is on Audiogon and they are looking for what they passed up. Problem you have is that the deal you quoted is great. It is quite possible that it won't be available six months from now. If funds are available, I say go for it. I think you will be very happy:emoji_thumbsup:

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
I do agree with Stephen, that in the end, you will end up with what you really want.

I do disagree with him on the watts that Klipsch speakers need. A 97dB efficient speaker will need 12.5% or 1/8 the power of an 88dB efficient speaker (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2).....that is a mathematical fact. Conversely, if the 97dB efficient Klipsch *NEEDS* continuous 200 watts, then the 88dB efficient *other brand* would *NEED* 800 watts? Yeah right.

In regards to the Klipsch owners with 200 watts, 3 possible reasons: 1) speakers are not spec'd properly, 2) many 200 watt models sound better than their smaller brothers in the 1-30 watts range (where most Klipsch speakers will play), or 3) Psychoacoustics.

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
While I tend to agree in theory with Ricky regarding the efficency of the Klipsch speakers, I do not own them. Users on Klipsch Forum frequently go for 200 wpc amps. While I am aware of the numbers, I doubt the speakers are speced wrong. I think these guys know their speakers, equipment and rooms as well as any of us and their decision is based on their personal experience. Fact is Wilson Audio speakers are generally very efficient with over 90 db rating, yet no one finds it unusual when high powered separate amps are used there. While I tend to agree with Ricky's statement the first thirty watts are what is being heard, I think that is always true with any speaker and I would drop that down to the first ten watts.

CurtisC

Second Unit
I have the rf7's and power them with a parasound amp,they don't need much power but 200 watts can't hurt.The weak link is my 3803 used as preamp,I've been reading this thread with great interest.
I have been considering the b&k 30/50 or the soundstage,are these comparable feature wise?I do like all the options on the 3803 but would give up some for improved musical performance.

nikhil m

Auditioning
I am intersted in the answer to that as well. See the thing i have with my current 3802 and the reason why im more interested in a pre processor rather than reciever combo is the fact that i want more purity and less bells and whistles. I like quality over features. The only modes i use are dp II 2 dts neo 6 dts dts es dolby digital (u know all the various surround modes) 7ch stereo and direct so after knowing that what would be a better bet? i have never used the simulation modes.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I say go for the Aragon Stage One and AMP for that price. I do think the power is overkill for Klipsch speakers and an amp like the Anthem PVA-7 would be more than enough...

http://www.anthemav.com/NewSitev2.0/...s/TPV_PVA7.pdf

However, if the 4k is a package price, you have gotten a very good deal. If by not buying the Aragon amp, your price on the STage ONe is not as good, then get both. If you can get a great price on the Stage One by itself, you won't miss anything with your speakers by getting the PVA-7.

In either scenerio, its a win win situation.

Curtis, I can't speak on the Ref 30/50's, but the Soundstage will KILL any receiver I've ever heard with 2 channel/music. It is great with HT as well but to me its main selling point is its 2 channel preamp built as a seperate entity from the HT side.

A very informative review on the Aragon Soundstage...

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...oundstage1.php

Stephen M

Stunt Coordinator
I own a B&K 307 which is a Ref 30 and a 125 x 7 power amp on one chassis. While I have great respect for this receiver (think its the best out there, especially the amp), I think the Aragon is definitely a step above sonically. The B&K is a little "cloudy" sounding in the midrange and treble IMO. Its good, but if you can go for more money, there is better gear out there, especially the Aragon.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks