aragon soundstage

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chris Copter, Feb 16, 2004.

1. Chris Copter

Chris Copter Auditioning

Hey everyone, I have seen a few aragon soundstages on auction sites for around my budget. I am also looking at getting a used ref 30 for around the same price. Does anyone know if the soundstages are at all upgradeable anymore? I know klipsch just bought aragon and it almost seems like aragon and acurus are being phased out. Maybe it would be better to get a ref 30 and upgrade it to a 31? B&k seems like they have their act together. Any opinions are appreciated. thanks

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

last i recalled, the soundstage upgrade is no longer offered. i own a soundstage, but chose not to upgrade it because i don't care about 7.1 at all and i am perfectly happy with it's musical reproduction. the only type of upgrade i would consider now would be a dedicated two channel tube pre-amp with ht bypass. i haven't heard the b&k so i can't say the aragon would be superior to it, but the aragon is far superior to any other receiver / pre-pro i've used including an ead theatermaster encore.

kevin t

4. Chris Copter

Chris Copter Auditioning

thanks for the info, I think I may go with the B&K because I am about 50/50 with theater and music, and I think I will miss DTS too much, plus I can later upgrade the ref 30 to pro logic 2 and all that good stuff. I want good 2 channel, but I also would like all the theater goodies. It's such a hard decision though, because the soundstage sounds like an awesome deal too. I can't decide!

5. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

the soundstage has no problem with dts. i've played many dts dvd's on my soundstage.

kevin t

6. Chris Copter

Chris Copter Auditioning

really, I thought it only did dolby digital with no dts- well now you're just making my decision even harder. ok the other thing i don't like is the db 25 cord (i think it's called)- then do I have to spend another 100 or so on an adapter for 6 channel inputs on my sacd player when I get one? By the way- does anyone know the price of a new ref 50? I could have sworn last time I was at Tweeter it was 3,000, down from 4,000. Or is it 2,000 down from 3? their website says 3,000 but I saw on a forum that they are new for 2,000. I really like the idea of a warranty also. sorry If I rambled.

7. Charles Gurganus

Chris, you can get a db 25 adaptor from Onkyo for about $20. This is what I use for my Soundstage (via Onkyo SP800 universal DVD player). I was also a bit concerned about the 6 channel input but don't sweat it, it work great and you get a good quality cable from Onkyo.

If you are truly 50/50 music to home theater (I am also) I think the Soundstage is the way to go. I feel no need to improve 2 channel music any longer and that took about 6 years to acomplish.

You can call ONkyo and ask about the db25 cable adaptor. Again, it is well put together.
    Who can I contact with questions about my Onkyo product?
    Please contact our Corporate Headquarters at:
    Onkyo USA Corporation
    18 Park Way
    Upper Saddle River, New Jersey 07458
    Toll-Free: 1-800-229-1687

I'd also check blue jeans cable. They might have what you would need all in one piece for a decent price. I just got a 6 cable package (to connect an ICBM between the DVD player and prepro) for about $75. And these are nice cables, as good as anyone would need IMHO.

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/6channel/index.htm

Chris, you sound just like me about the Soundstage. I went through the same thing about the cable. (It does have DTS so no worries) The guy I bought it from (Ricky T) was so sure I'd like it, he sent it to me before paying and said I could send it back if I didn't like it.

The last thing before I shut up is this. You will not do 2 channel any better than the soundstage for the money and a ONE box solution. And remember this as well, even if you use the 6 channel input for multichannel you can still use ANY other input for TRUE analog bypass. So you could connect different DVD-Audio and SACD audio players (of course stereo only but many folks just want that) and there is no extra processing. The signal goes right to the analog volume control in the stereo direct mode. YOu can also set a different crossover for stereo sources vs home theater sources.

8. Dan Sloane

Dan Sloane Extra

Hi Chris, I just saw new ref 50's for $1698 on videogon

9. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Chris,

Remember the *Intel Inside* slogan? Well, the Soundstage has an *Aurum Inside*. The Aurum is Aragon's top of the line 2 channel preamp. The last two went for 650 and 750 on ebay....that's $750 for a used preamp that doesn't even have a remote, but originally retailed at 1900 in 1993 dollars!

Considering that used Soundstages are going for about 1250, for 500 bucks more, you get 5.1 dd/dts/dpl, a remote, video switching, 5.1 inputs, etc. It's great to know when listening to music, you really are using a highend, $2k preamp. (The B&K is good, but the analog section is based on the ~600 retail 2 channel preamp model).

I had to really convince Charles to buy my stock Soundstage when I also had the Aragon Stage One...newer, with the new digital section. Well, a few months after Chuck bought mine, I felt that I really wanted the Soundstage with the upgraded digital section...this is because the Soundstage has the exact Aurum inside, and the Stage One's analog section, while very, very good, is not identical. So I bought another used Soundstage to do it! I have been super happy with it since (btw, I've owne more than 20 5.1 capable processors).

10. Dan Sloane

Dan Sloane Extra

Hey RickyT, How does the aragon soundstage compare tothe Lexicon MC-1, I don't listen to 2 channel much and enjoy a surround sound system both for music and movies, but I would appreciate your opinion.

11. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Dan,

Funny you ask. I actually used the MC1 (full 7 speaker setup) along with a Rogue Magnum 66 tube preamp happily for 1.5 years before trying my first Soundstage (which Charles has!). I actually sold the MC1 because I loved the way the Aragon made my DVD movies sound (6.1 with dual-mono rears; I had a Smart Devices Jr that created 6.1 from 5.1). It's even better with music, but that's not my priority (like it with Charles).

The Stage One very close for DVD movies; the gap IMO is a bit wider for music. It has THX Ultra2 (but I don't use it, because I don't like THX processing).

12. Charles Gurganus

Nice to see you have returned Ricky![​IMG]

I think I saw a couple of Soundstage's for sale at audiogon. They also had my old setup, a Sony TAE and TAP combo for about the same price as the Soundstage's ($1200). I saw a couple of probably overprice B&k Ref 30's as well. Those TAP's have achieved legendary status and Sony is stupid for not continuing to make them. [​IMG]

13. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Chuck,

Yeah, I can't resist posting about the Aragon Soundstage!

While the Sony TAE9000 is worth about 400, I think some of the TAP9000's are getting close to 1k! I agree that Sony is dumb to not to produce more units.

14. Ted Pugh

Ted Pugh Stunt Coordinator

I own the Aragon Stage One and I am very impressed with the build quality, looks and especially the sound quality in both 2 channel and 5.1/7.1. I just wish I would have known about some of the lesser expensive DB25 cables for SACD and DVD Audio. I purchased the cable from Monster and it cost me $150 but it is an extremely well built cable. There is a great review of the Stage One in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater which rates it very high.

Chris, The Soundstage, for the money, is better than the B&K Ref. 30 IMO plus the customer service from Steve at Aragon is hard to beat. I think you will love the sound of the Soundstage.

15. Chris Copter

Chris Copter Auditioning

well, I made my decision and bought actually a ref 50 because of the great price I got for it, (my salesman hooked me up!) so far it sounds great for home theater and pretty good for music (way better than my $300 Yamaha!), and I think I can live with it for a while. Thanks for your help everyone, I had to go with the ref 50 because of the warranty, the new processing modes, and the ease of buying it from a brick and mortar store. I probably would have loved the soundstage also, maybe even more but there's always next time. When I get sick of the home theater side and want great 2 channel I'll probably trade for the soundstage and see how it sounds. thanks again,
    chris

16. Charles Gurganus

Chris, for the price it would be hard to turn down the Ref. 50 (warranty and all). Have fun.

Ted, I hear you on the db25 cable. Props go to Ricky for finding out that Onkyo sold one for about $20. It was almost a show stopper for me. I was NOT going to pay even $80-$100 for a converter cable.

17. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Charles,

You should be happy to know that your Aragon Soundstage's resale value (you paid ~1300) is holding up very well as one just went for the buy-it-now price of $1300 on ebay. As long as Aurum preamps go for 650-750, the Soundstage will stay above 1200.

18. Charles Gurganus

Yeah Ricky, and it is STILL a bargain to my ears. YOu did get those db25 converters from Onkyo and not KLipish, right?

19. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Some Onkyo/Integra receivers and prepros also use the db25 connector for their 5.1 & 7.1 analog inputs.

Onkyo charges $13 plus $6 shipping for each db25-to-6RCA converter cable. If you buy two cables, or perhaps other small accessories, the shipping stays around $6.