Aragon or Parasound? Comments?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeHalder, Mar 10, 2002.

1. MikeHalder

MikeHalder Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking at upgrading my amp section from my STR-DA777ES to an outboard amp. I have been looking at both Parasound and Aragon products. Both get great reviews. The Aragon 8008 x 3 series and the Parasound 2205 are the two I have been researching in my price range (used ~ $1500) Any comments on these two lines?

Mike

2. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

I am a huge Aragon fan! If you look back in the SGHT's Recommended Component's issue from 2001. The Aragon 8008x3 was the only multi channel amp to get the Class AAA rating!

Then again it is important to match the amp to the speakers so see if you can audition the amps with YOUR speakers.

Good Luck

Mike

3. MikeHalder

Mike,

I would assume that they would match my speakers as both my speakers(KLF-30',10's,C7)and the amp are made/owned by Klipsch. Unfortunately I live in an area of NC where auditioning anything 'high end' is pretty much out of the question unless I plan to drive 3 hours to Raleigh, so the opinions of others on this forum is my most valuable tool.

Mike

4. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

FWIW - The aragons are showing up on ubid new in that same price range, if not a little better.

5. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have the link to the Aragon website to find out about their amplifiers, such as the different models, specs, dealers, etc.?? Thanks.

Mike

6. MikeHalder

Here is the link to the Aragon page:
    Aragon

7. SavoyR

SavoyR Agent

Mike is there a huge difference in sound between the Aragon Palladium ll and the 8008BB, and between the 8008BB and 8008ST?

8. Dave N.

Dave N. Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    I am a big Aragon fan. Secrets of Home Theater has excellent reviews of the 8008x3 and 8008BB:
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/maste..._toc_main.html
    I own 2 8008BB and an 8008x3B. I purchased the first 8008BB used for $1500 and then I recently picked up the other amps NEW for $1500 from an authorized dealer. Aragon is discontinuing these models and they can be purchased new for great prices.
    As Mike Burke pointed out the 8008x3 was AAA rated and the 8008BB is an even better amp. They are powerful and stable to 2 ohms. I love the sound of these amps in my system.
    Check http://www.audiosurvey.com for reputable online dealers. I purchased from Yawaonline.com but they sold out their allotment. Ubid has had some very negative feedback on these forums.
    While I understand your frustration in not having top notch HT stores in your area there are trade-offs. I can't head to The Crab Shack on Emerald Isle for a pitcher of beer and a bowl of crabs whenever I want[​IMG].
    Dave

9. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

Thanks for the link. The new Aragon amps look very nice and they have quite a choice. I wonder how the new amps compare to the older amps. The new amps are suppose to ship this month and I hope one of the HT magazines will get one and review it. Or if anyone here gets their hands on the new Aragons let us know.

Mike

10. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Mike, the biggest change I notice is that the new amps don't double power output at 4 ohms. The 8008BB or ST will output 400 watts at 4 ohms. I own both the 8008BB and 8008x3 and think highly of the Aragon line, at least pre-Klipsch that is. I have no experience with the newer gear.
    FWIW, $1,500 for a new 8008BB is a great deal, IMO. [​IMG]

11. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Frank,
    I noticed that as well, but neither do the Sherbourn or Parasound amps I'm considering. The new Aragons are THX Ultra2 certified so that must mean they have some beef into 4 ohms. Plus, I have a dealer friend who may be able to get me a very good deal on one when I'm ready -- maybe by the end of summer after I decide whether to buy the Outlaw 950 or not. Here's hoping the new amps keep the Aragon tradition of great amps going.[​IMG]
    Mike

12. SavoyR

SavoyR Agent

the 8008 mkll and the palladium 1k does double down into 4ohm's they are the exact same as the the original's except for the cosmetics and weight the 2's and 3's I think are a replacement of the acuras line I was told that the 8008 series was the best that Mondial makes

13. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Personally I have not heard the Palladium monoblocks but I have read nothing but good reviews on them.

Mike Halder, Klipsch only recently bought Mondial Designs so I don't think they were designed inconjunction together plus the 8008 series has been out for a few years so they definitely are independant of each other. I could only imagine how LOUD a 97Db speaker would be with a 8008ST!!!

From what I have read the designer of the 8008 series is Dan D'Augustino, the lead designer of Krell, so there is some clout to their designer.

Good Luck

Mike

14. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

Savoy,

You're right about the 8008, however I'm looking for a 5 channel amp as I'm very happy with my Cinepro 12KSE running my two main speakers at this time. Unfortunately, I will not be able to hear either the Parasound or the Aragon, as far as I know, so when I get to the point of actually purchasing I will relying on reviews from those on forums like this and somewhat less on any magazine reviews. It may come down to what I can get each amp for.

Mike

15. SavoyR

SavoyR Agent

Mike is good to Mix&Match amps? if you have Cinepro's driving the fronts why not get all Cinepro's

16. SavoyR

SavoyR Agent

Mike is it good to Mix&Match amps? if you have Cinepro's driving the fronts why not get all Cinepro's

17. MikeAF

MikeAF Stunt Coordinator

SavoyR,

The reason I may mix and match is because of cost. I love the Cinepro for music which is what I listen to most of the time and just want a good 5-channel amp for movies. I got a good deal on the Cinepro and if my source comes through I don't think I could pass on an Aragon deal. I know there is a lot of talk about mix and matching amps but again I need to compromise in certain aspects of my hobby and system. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to afford a Cinepro 2K3 when I'm ready to buy, but I'm trying to find cheaper alternatives. Unfortunately, I don't live in the ideal audio/video world and I'm trying to put together a system which will satisfy my ears, eyes and checkbook at the same time, and I know certain compromises must be made and I need to determine what those will be. Anyway, enough ranting, on to find my perfect system in an imperfect room.

Mike