What's new

Aragon Amplifiers (1 Viewer)

Brian H

Grip
I have been a supporter of Aragon amplifiers for years. Currently, I am running an 8008ST, and 8008X3 in my home theater. The only issue I have ever had was that occassionally 'the bias' has to be adjusted to keep them from running too hot. In the past (before Klipsch), I would simply call Aragon, and talk with Paul R. up there, who would get me taken care of.

Two separate questions:

1) The last time I spoke with Aragon, they said that it was relatively easy to adjust bias at home (avoiding the downtime, and the shipping charges). Does anyone here know how to do that?

2) While my currect amps are running fine, I was tempted by a recent advertisement to take a look at the 2005. The price seemed right... and it would free up a spot in my rack. However, I was surprised that the 2005 only weighs 46#, while the combination of my 8008 and 8008X3 weigh nearly 140#!!! I 'assume' that the newer amp uses newer technologies and that it what cuts the weight. Am I missing something here? Is the 2005 a lightweight compared to my current combination?

As always, I appreciate your insight.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Brian H,

I have ordered a new 2007 amp to go with my new Stage One pre/pro which I am currently using with a 5 channel B&K 200.5 amp. I want to upgrade to 7.1 and I received a price for the 2007 that I can not refuse. How do you classify the Aragon Amps. Tend toward the warmer side or vice versa. Any help would be appreciated. I also noticed that the weight of the Aragon 2000 series amps are light compared to other similar products.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd advise checking out the review and analysis that GDS did at Audioholics as it seems the Klipsch buy out may make this an item of past reputation to sell an inferior product.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
I do not take much stock in what Audioholics has to say about any products. That do not seem very consistent. Anyone else feel like commenting on the Aragon products expecially the 2005 or 2007 amps. I love my Stage One and could not be happier with my purchase or the customer service Aragon has provided me during set up.

Kevin Magee

Agent
What they are doing is selling the old lower line under the Aragon name. I've owned both of the amps you have and enjoyed them. Don't be fooled into buying an Acurus amp which I believe the amp that you are considering really is.

Scott_N

Second Unit
The 2005 is Aragon in name only. It doesn't have the parts quality or build quality of the 8008 series.

Ted

I used to have a 8008ST and I would say Aragon has a more neutral sound than B&K. A little dark in the mids and a little crisp on top with good bass. Aragon amps sound alot like Krell to me but with Krell being just a bit better.

Brian H

Grip
First, I think the Aragon amps are amazingly accurate.
Second, does anyone know how to set the bias on them?

Especially if the Klipsch buy out is having an impact on Aragon products, I need to know how to set the bias on them as I may be keeping them for years and years!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Well, surprisingly, some of us actually like Acurus amps! :) I still think they go head to head quite easily with such as Rotel, B&K, Anthem, etc.

But yeah, the *new* Aragon amps are more like the old (discontinued) Acurus amps than the original Aragon amps. Shame on Klipsch.

I had an 8008x3 in my system for a while. Very nice and beautiful amp. But I don't remember anything about bias adjustment in the manual at least. Good Mondial/Aragon/Acurus forum over on Klipsch's site. Someone over there might know.

I still think about mating an 8008ST with an 8008x5 for 7.1, but man, the 8008x5 is a beast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks