Aragon amp vs. Parasound 2205.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Morgan, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Saw the Aragon amp on ubid for $1909 and wondered if it would make a significant difference in my system. I currently run a Parasound 2205a and a 2003a w/ Von Schweikert speakers in a 7.1 setup. Any thoughts?

Steve M.

2. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Steve,

The few people who have compared the Aragon 8008 amps against the Citation 7.1 amps called it basically a tossup (see audioreview). You like the parasound 220 wpc over your Citation 7.1. Keep your parasounds and the money in your pocket man!

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i have no experience with either amp but i think the general consensus here is that the parasound is a top performer but the aragon is in a league of it's own when compared to most "mass market" 5 channel amps. assuming you had to choose one or the other at the same price, most would suggest getting the aragon. since you already have the parasound though...i don't see any reason for the upgrade other than curiosity killing the cat.

kevin t

4. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

I think this is a prime example of diminishing returns.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Can you say, "upgradeitis" ? I thought you could... [​IMG]
    I have 2 Acurus A200x3 amps in a 6.1 system.
    A while ago, I had an incurable case of "upgradeitis".
    I got an 8008x3 to "try out".
    1st off, it is 19 inches wide, not the "std" 17. I didn't know that. It is a big monster of an amp. Beautifully engineered. Really quite a work of art, IMO.
    I had it for a month. Tried it out on music and movies. At the end of the month, I couldn't justify any improvement in sound quality, dynamics, etc., for the extra cost. So I stayed with Acurus.
    Personally, I would put Aragon a very small notch above Parasound, but I agree: don't switch, save your money for something else.

6. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Thanks guys,I do like the Parasounds and have tried other amps as Ricky knows.I think when you get to this level the differences are subtle. I am going to stick with the Parasounds.Upgradeitis has hit!

Ricky how do you like the Lex? I have the Ref 30 and as we know B&K is slow with the upgrades.I watch alot of DSS and hear pro-logic II is great for DSS.Have you compared the MC1 to the Ref 30? My thought were to grab a MC1 and sell the Ref but here again there are some trade offs and small gains.I don't want to spend $5000 on a pre/pro after spending $9000 on new speakers. I guess I could wait and see what B&K does after Motorola gets the chip lined out but who knows when that will happen.What do ya think Ricky?

Steve M.

7. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Steve,
    Now you're talking [​IMG] My system usage is 90% DSS and DVD; remaining 10% CD and XBOX. I recently went from a fantastic Onkyo 989 to the MC1, and very, very happy. Logic7 is better than DPL2 for 2.0 sources like DSS. See John T's current thread, he just went from a Denon 4802 to an MC1....we'll see his thoughts. IMO, both the 989 and 4802 are comparable to your ref30, and we both got our MC1s under $2300. If you must upgrade something soon, Ref30 to MC1/DC2 would be the way to go IMO!

8. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

A major item overlooked when comparing Aragon to Parasound is that the Aragon doubles the power output at 4ohms to 400w per channel. The Parasound only does 330 watts.

If you have Aeriel's or other power hungry speakers, the Aragon would be my choice.

9. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

10. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

While the Aragon is probably a slightly better amp, it's more of a lateral move IMO. I'd save the money for a more significant upgrade. My upgrade rule is not to upgrade unless the item is at least twice the price of my current item.

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Justin- I hope you're not saying that when you upgrade components, it's based on price alone, and not performance too... [​IMG]

12. Justin Doring

Although not always, usually performance follows price. Of course I always look for the best performing component for my budget.

13. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

Justin,

Are you still running a single 2 channel HT system with NHT 3.3s and Classe stereo separates? Or do you have two systems and 5.1 in the other room?

14. Justin Doring

Hi Ricky,

Yes, I'm still running my NHT, Classe', and Sony system for both music and HT. I'll probably keep this configuration for awhile, as I like it quite a bit. I keep lusting after a Levinson Reference system with either the WATT/Puppy 6 or Revel Salon speakers, but considering the cost, I doubt it will happen in the near future.