What's new

Aragon Amp -- Holeee Moleee! (1 Viewer)

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Well, I couldn't stand it any longer. Since it looks like the Outlaw 950 is still a ways off from delivery, I HAD to hear what this Aragon 8008x3 that I just bought sounded like with my NHT 2.5, AC1 and 1.5 speakers.

Soo, I pulled out my 10-year-old Pioneer VSX-9700S which, even when it was new, has only served as a secondary system. (I'm not a Pioneer fan. But this receiver was cheap and convenient for a second ProLogic system.)

Hooked it up as a preamp going into the Aragon across the front and with my old Carver 705x in the rear. (It formerly powered the front.)

To quote the valley girls, OH MY GAAWD!

From top to bottom, the fullness, imaging, and detail of the sound just went up several levels of quality. I'm not playing at high levels, in fact, not anywhere near reference level, but I'm hearing such precision and subtlety in the sound. The clarity and presence of solo vocals is remarkable. And even at low level, the bass is tight, solid and, at times, just so subliminally THERE.

Stunning. Aragon has a believer.

And think how compromised the performance is by this Pioneer receiver. I can only imagine what the Outlaw 950 is going to do. Yipes.

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
Bob, glad to hear you're happy with your new amp. Did you purchase the Aragon on a closeout deal? If so, congratulations, you really got a great deal! :)
BTW, I've had my Aragon 8008 x 3 and 8008BB for about 2 years now, I really appreciate their performance across the board.

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I'm getting ready for a move to separates, sounds like I'll have to consider Aragon amps as I've heard nothing but good things!

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
So what speakers are you guys using? I currently have the originial Outlaw, but am flirting with the idea of getting a nice 2 channel for my mains......

Some people find Aragon amps on the bright side.....so I would like to hear any bright/brittle comments.

tia

Steve

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Well, I'm not yet hearing it with a proper preamp, so that invalidates my opinion so far. However, I certainly wouldn't call this amp bright. I'd call it "analytical" or, more to the point, "honest." And, remember, I'm using it with NHT speakers that are also widely considered "bright."
I was listening to a Telarc recording of the music from "Jurassic Park" and "The Terminator." They have some electronic sounds and sound effects mixed in to heighten the impact. Mind you, I'm just hearing this using the analog out from my laserdisc player into the old Pioneer receiver as preamp. I gotta tell you, this thing scared me. The electronic sizzle was terrifyingly immediate and the T-Rex stomps were intense. And this was nowhere near reference level.
I usually associate "bright" with "thin." That is, lacking upper bass, having lots of highs, but not much mid-range. That DOES NOT describe the Aragon. Well mixed pop records have rich presence; yet classical recordings have space and breadth while retaining clear detail. In fact, when orchestral bells or triangle rang out with vivid in-the-room reality, I had to laugh, it was just delightful.
By the way, the guy that I bought my 8000x3 from has an Aragon 8008ST for sale. I saw it when I picked mine up. I believe they came from the same original owner. It was in excellent physical condition and I assume the operating condition is just as good as the amp I got. It's on his site for $895. He's at www.thesoundbroker.com if you're interested.

Jah-Wren Ryel

Stunt Coordinator
If you are looking for new Aragon's, watch ubid. They are clearing out "old" models. Some of the auctions have had little to no competition, probably because the average ubidder doesn't know the Aragon brand name. The auctions that start at zero get lots of bids, but the ones with high, but still comparably cheap, minimum bids have gone untouched. It is kind of weird for ubid to have minimum bids that are actually a good deal, it makes me think that Klipsch must be practically giving the units away for ubid to price them like that. For example, I picked up an 8008x3B for $1230 shipped and there were 3 or 4 other units in the same auction that no one bid on.

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad to hear you guys like your Aragon amps. I only hope now that Mondial is a part of Klipsch they won't compromise what they are putting into the new Aragon amps. They have quite a new choice of amps along with the Aragon Stage One pre/pro. I will definitely be considering one of the new 5 channel amps when it comes time to go to 7.1. Anyone out there have one of the new amps yet or the new pre/pro? They were suppose to be available last month.

Mike

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
Jah-Wren gives a great tip there. Sad to say, however, I haven't seen any Aragon auctions on uBid this week.
I've been watching in case my conscience weakens and I pop for Aragon for my rear channels....
By the way, this Aragon amp is just slam-dunking the WAF. Several times while listening this afternoon, some surprising, high impact passage would occur in the music. I'd look at my wife -- who was sitting next to me reading -- and her head would pop up and we exchanged looks. And we were both going, WOW! We never heard THAT before!
Me: "Gee, I'm really glad now that I spent that money foolishly."
Wife: "I'm telling you, this wasn't spending money foolishly."
Sorry guys. The woman is mine, all mine. :D

Kevin T

Screenwriter
jah-wren:

you must've been bidding in one of the same auctions i was. i paid $1230 + the hugely overpriced ubid shipping for my 8008x3b. greatest amplifier i've ever owned. now i'm in the process of looking for a good price on an 8008bb. wish me luck guys!

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks