What's new

AR Pro Series component cable (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
I've been doing a little research but there are so many cable threads that it makes my head spin. I have a 12ft AR Pro Series (not series 2, this is at least 3 years old) that I am planning to use from my DVD player to my TV. From what I've read this should be fine to pass 480p with no degradation, but I wanted to make sure.

I also have an AR Performance series 6 ft cable. Would this cable also be capable of passing 480p with no degradation?

In all my research I've realized that for anything over 480p via component I will need something better than AR has to offer. For a 1080i signal via XBOX I am planning on using bluejeans cables. Are there any other options out there in the same price range or perhaps cheaper?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
AR pro series should be fine for pretty much anything you can throw at it.

Saying NO DEGRADATION...is an interesting statement. ANY cable has degradation. I will take this to mean that you don't want to SEE any degradation. I doubt you would notice any difference between the Bluejeans and AR pro. I have the AR pro and upgraded to AR pro II and noticed no difference. Cables are mainly about build quality IMO. That is what you pay for.

I wouldn't worry about it, use the AR pro cables, they are built well and have good shielding.

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
When I say degradation I mean degradation introduced by inferior cables, or cables that cannot handle the bandwidth needed.

From my light reading of this forum today in at least 5 different threads it was mentioned that for HD signals (720p, 1080i) you really need better cables like bluejeans. Anyone else care to chime in?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
eh, I doubt you need bluejeans cables however, I would recommend getting at least AR pro series II because that upgrades the center conductor to RG6 wire. This is probably what you need for those high def signals

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Here is a problem: "Component" cables only have to be compatible with the 1940's component video standard of 480i. This tops out at 4 Mhz.

Progressive video goes up to 13 Mhz - that's over 4 times what a "component" cable needs to handle.

Now I like AR Pro cables. They are my favorite run-out-and-get-a-set-today budget cables. I've never heard anybody complain that they affected the video quality.

On the other hand - there are no technical specs that show they use coax designed for progressive video frequencies. (I have tried contacting them - they wont give out the info).

My advice: if you already have a 12' cable - use it. It will work great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks