AR Performance Series subwoofer cable Directional?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Bell, Apr 21, 2002.

1. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

I bought this cable at Best Buy and it says its directional. But I could not find any arrows or markings of any kind. Does it matter which way the cable is installed. I hear a slight hum coming out of my PB12 when there is absolute silence in the room. Do I have the cable installed or is this little bit of humming normal? I dont want to reverse the cable if I dont have to, major hassle because of my setup. Thanks to all who reply.

2. Jason Bell

I must be blind there are arrows all over that cable. Light grey, didnt see em. I would have deleted this post but I couldnt figure out how. Sorry for wasting everyones time:b

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I have the same cables and I to have a slight hum when gain on sub is turned up over 1/2. I do not go this high on setting but it still bugs me knowing it is there if I was to. A few days ago I read a post stating the A-R cables had arrows on them and to make sure arrows were going in right direction. "This was related to sub hum". So I checked mine out and sure enough I had on backwards. Sorry to say it did not do the trick. The post did state this was not a for-sure fix but worth a try.

4. Jason Bell

Hey Steve,
    Once I got home from work and gave the cable another look I noticed the arrows, but by luck I had the arrows pointing to the sub anyways. So even with the cable properly installed I still get a very slight hum. I have my volume on the back of my PB12 at around 60%. The hum is only noticeable if it is completely quiete so I'm just not gonna worry about it. I wonder if those Monster Cables would make any difference too bad they are like 4x as much so I wouldnt upgrade even if it did remove it[​IMG]. If the hum you're having is bothering you. You could always pick up a more expensive cable from Best Buy and if it dont work take it back. Thanks for replying.

5. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Some questions/thoughts for your guys:

- Does the hum exist when the cable is not attached?

- Have you tried using a 3-prong-to-2-prong type converter on your sub's powercord (assuming it's a powered sub)

- Can you move the sub close enough to your gear that you can try a different cable/interconnect?

- Could it be transformer hum, or some vibration of the sub's amp rather than from the speaker itself?

6. Nico

Nico Stunt Coordinator

I don't know if AR makes good cable. Try this belden-based subwoofer cable at Rhino Cable.
    Nico

7. Eric Sevigny

Eric Sevigny Stunt Coordinator

I have this cable and tried it both ways. I haven't found it sounding any different either way. I am keeping it the wrong way for a very simple reason : when I giggle the cable on one end, my subwoofer (SVS 25-31PC) sometimes will activate and make this awful loud hum-like noise. Something must be loose on one of the connector, so I keep the bad conector at the end that I am less likely to inadvertely giggle the cable, and that is on the subwoofer end with the arrows pointing in the wrong "signal" direction.

8. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I replace my Radio Shack 12' cable, because I had a 'low hummm' when I plugged it into my SVS 25-31PCi, besides barely reaching it!
    I bought the $14.99 AR 15' Sub Cable @ BestBuy and plugged it in without looking for any arrows! It did completely removed the 'low hummm'! [​IMG]
    After reading this thread, I looked at it the other day and low and behold, I plugged in the correct direction!
    The AR sub cable is nicely constructed with excellent, firm fitting gold RCA plugs.
    Phil

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Yes I have seen many posts in regards to A-R cables and they all seem to speak with confidence in them. They sure feel and look good. I read one post where a guy did go with the monster and it did get rid of the hum but it cut back the subs output. I don't know, I have tried it all. Mine will only do it if the receiver is on and the sub hooked up to the sub out. If I hookup my spare sub it will do the same. Jason have you tried to run your receiver a little hot and then turn your gain on the sub back some. This has helped with me.