What's new

AR Performance Series subwoofer cable Directional? (1 Viewer)

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I bought this cable at Best Buy and it says its directional. But I could not find any arrows or markings of any kind. Does it matter which way the cable is installed. I hear a slight hum coming out of my PB12 when there is absolute silence in the room. Do I have the cable installed or is this little bit of humming normal? I dont want to reverse the cable if I dont have to, major hassle because of my setup. Thanks to all who reply.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
I must be blind there are arrows all over that cable. Light grey, didnt see em. I would have deleted this post but I couldnt figure out how. Sorry for wasting everyones time:b

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
I have the same cables and I to have a slight hum when gain on sub is turned up over 1/2. I do not go this high on setting but it still bugs me knowing it is there if I was to. A few days ago I read a post stating the A-R cables had arrows on them and to make sure arrows were going in right direction. "This was related to sub hum". So I checked mine out and sure enough I had on backwards. Sorry to say it did not do the trick. The post did state this was not a for-sure fix but worth a try.

Jason Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Steve,
Once I got home from work and gave the cable another look I noticed the arrows, but by luck I had the arrows pointing to the sub anyways. So even with the cable properly installed I still get a very slight hum. I have my volume on the back of my PB12 at around 60%. The hum is only noticeable if it is completely quiete so I'm just not gonna worry about it. I wonder if those Monster Cables would make any difference too bad they are like 4x as much so I wouldnt upgrade even if it did remove it:). If the hum you're having is bothering you. You could always pick up a more expensive cable from Best Buy and if it dont work take it back. Thanks for replying.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Some questions/thoughts for your guys:

- Does the hum exist when the cable is not attached?

- Have you tried using a 3-prong-to-2-prong type converter on your sub's powercord (assuming it's a powered sub)

- Can you move the sub close enough to your gear that you can try a different cable/interconnect?

- Could it be transformer hum, or some vibration of the sub's amp rather than from the speaker itself?

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
I have this cable and tried it both ways. I haven't found it sounding any different either way. I am keeping it the wrong way for a very simple reason : when I giggle the cable on one end, my subwoofer (SVS 25-31PC) sometimes will activate and make this awful loud hum-like noise. Something must be loose on one of the connector, so I keep the bad conector at the end that I am less likely to inadvertely giggle the cable, and that is on the subwoofer end with the arrows pointing in the wrong "signal" direction.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
I replace my Radio Shack 12' cable, because I had a 'low hummm' when I plugged it into my SVS 25-31PCi, besides barely reaching it!
I bought the $14.99 AR 15' Sub Cable @ BestBuy and plugged it in without looking for any arrows! It did completely removed the 'low hummm'! :)
After reading this thread, I looked at it the other day and low and behold, I plugged in the correct direction!
The AR sub cable is nicely constructed with excellent, firm fitting gold RCA plugs.
Phil

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Yes I have seen many posts in regards to A-R cables and they all seem to speak with confidence in them. They sure feel and look good. I read one post where a guy did go with the monster and it did get rid of the hum but it cut back the subs output. I don't know, I have tried it all. Mine will only do it if the receiver is on and the sub hooked up to the sub out. If I hookup my spare sub it will do the same. Jason have you tried to run your receiver a little hot and then turn your gain on the sub back some. This has helped with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quirkyorc
Recent bookmarks