AR p112ps or Sony WMA-40?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alan F, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Alan F

Alan F Auditioning

Please excuse my mentioning these lowly subs in this select group, but I have a inflexible top limit of $200.

Has anyone compared these two subs? It will be used for music (classical & jazz) as well as HT. I'm a little concerned about what I've heard about the Sony's boominess, notwithstandng the polyfill tweak, but I've also heard the AR can be boomy. I will be calibrating with Avia & SPL, BTW.

Thanks,

Alan

2. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind anything you hear about the Sony is possibly exagerrated a bit. What I mean is with the huge popularity of this subwoofer many many people have thrown in their 2 cents. Also, it isn't too far fetched to assume that when someone heard they were boomy, and then heard the speaker, they interpreted it as boomy. Nevermind the fact that it might have been, they thought it was boomy before listening to it.

My thoughts on the aforementioned sub:

Cheap - I got the elusive Sears pricematch for $129. The deal with that is, they work on commission (at least the one I went to did.) When they pricematch that much they basically make nothing. I guy I knew from a college class helped me out.

Is it boomy? Sure, I suppose so. If you cranked it up way past a reasonable level, played some Pod Racer scene or the Haunting, and didn't have it calibrated. Mine is just a little sub that adds emphasis when needed. It blends nicely. Remember, its under $200.

On last thought. If you have a big room (don't ask me what that is) then you'll want more to achieve reference levels. On another interesting note. When I first started reading HTF there was no SVS. Now that SVS is so popular people reach unheard of levels. Now however people still aren't satisfied and they start upgrading their SVS to higher end lines. It just goes to show, no matter how good something is, eventually you are going to want better.

Upgraditis!

As far the other sub, I have no idea. If you can pick up the Sony for under $150 its a steal.

Lets add those 2 cents to the pot.

Jon

3. Jason Hammerly

Jason Hammerly Supporting Actor

Man ... I wish I had all the $.02 people give in regards to the sony sub. I'd have more than enough money to get an SVS. : )

4. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Alan, from my experience with these 2 subs, the Sony would be my choice....it can be pushed much harder than the AR before bottoming out.

Good luck,

Vin