What's new

ar or monster (1 Viewer)

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Your question is a little vague since your not really saying what you want out of the cables. If cost is the factor then I would go with the AR Master series. For me here in Canada, the AR Master Series is reasonably priced for what it offers compared to Monster, Straight Wire or Internet offerings. Currently my setup has AR Master for optical, component, interconnect and Surge protection. Checkout the specs.
Optical Cable:

MS 280 3 feet
AR® exclusive FNT™ technology provides the most comprehensive, advanced protection against kinking to maintain constant light transfer for uninterrupted high performance.
Precision-machined Toslink™ optical connections for superior fit and signal transfer.
Corrosion-free 24k gold-plated colar surrounds and protects a polished convex lens for error-free digital signal transfer.
Highest-grade fiber engineered specifically to meet the demands of digital audio/video components for accurate high-speed signal transfer.
Two layers of non-relective cladding for added optic fiber protection and optimum light transfer.
Professional quality 8 mm PVC jacket and molded strain relief maintains assembly integrity and protects against damage.
Interconnects:

MS 230 3 feet
AR® exclusive FNT™ technology provides the most comprehensive, advanced protection against noise and interference.
Frequency-corrected silver-coated very fine multi-stranded >99.99% pure oxygen-free copper conductors improve signal transfer for delivery of full frequency range.
Locking, 24k gold-plated precision-machined RCA connectors will split center pins for superior fit and signal transfer.
Teflon® insulation provides the lowest dielectric absorption for hightest signal integrity and accuracy.
Two layers of shielding: one 100% overlapped Mylar® foil for RFI isolation, and one 95%+ copper braid for EMI isolation.
Highest-quality insulating and stranded fiber dielectrics with low contants for greatest efficient signal performance, accuracy and purity.
Twisted pair balanced and directional noise drain construction combine for natural, accurate noise-free sound reproduction
Component:

MS 291 6 feet
AR® exclusive FNT™ technology provides the most comprehensive, advanced protection against noise and interference.
Frequency-corrected silver-coated solid >99.99% pure oxygen-free copper center conductor delivers optimum high-frequency signal transfer.
Locking, precision-machined RCA connectors with 24k gold-plated split center pins for superior fit and signal transfer
Surge Protector:

satellite / home theater surge protector
Ultimate satellite protection
Designed specifically to protect satellite-based home theater systems, the AR-10S features gold-plated satellite cable connections and upgraded AR® satellite cable with gold-plated connectors for the best possible signal transfer. AR® coaxial and modem cables are also included to position the AR-10S as a complete home satellite / home theater power source.
• 10 Outlets •• 2163 Joules •
features
$100,000 Lifetime Warranty
Gold Connections
Satellite Protection
Cable Protection
Phone/Modem Protection
Advanced Acoustic Accuracy
FNT™ Technology
Fail Safe Circuitry
Continuous Outlet
6 Oversized AC Outlets
Cord Opposite Switch
Safety Covers
8' Ultra-Flex Power Cord
Audible Alarm
Ground OK
Protection OK
Circuit Breaker
Two High-Performance AR® Cables Included
Data Modem Line Included
Kevin

Leonard B

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have Monster cables, but instead have the AR pro series (blue cables). To me they are well made and I was able to negotiate a good price.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Is acoustic research cables good enough or do I need to spend the extra and get monster
I like to suggest keeping the cable budget to 10% of the cost of the equipment you are hooking up.
AR is fine quality for a budget price. But when you move up to a more 'sensitive' level of equipment, then the 10% rule and your system should indicate a higher-end cable.
Lets break this down:
VIDEO:
Use AR brand until your system becomes sensitive. Then go to a custom cable site like www.bettercables.com and get the production studio stuff.
By sensitive I mean your system has one or more of the following:
- Display size bigger than about 40"
- Display is a HD/HD Ready unit
- Pushing Progressive or HD signals
- Long run between source and the TV
COAXIAL-DIGITAL:
This is simply a 75 ohm video cable. Just buy a good quality video cable and you will be fine.
SUBWOOFER:
The higher the frequency, the more effect the cable can have. But a subwoofer carries very low frequency sounds, and the difference between the lowest and highest frequency is small. This means any decent audio interconnect will work. Go with AR brand here, or a budget cable from one of the custom sites.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks