1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

AR on Return to Neverland? The package says "Family Friendly Widescreen..."

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_A, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Matt_A

Matt_A Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased Return to Neverland, and found that the packaging said it was "family friendly widescreen 1.66:1 enhanced for 16X9 TVs." Was it originally 1.66:1 or something wider, and they cropped it down to reduce the size of the bars when letterboxing to make it more "family friendly?"

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Disney animates at 1.66:1 for virtually everything they do

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Exactly. They animate at 1.66:1 and so the DVD is sligtly open-matted compared to it's 1.85:1 american theatrical presentation.

Not 100% OAR, but no missing picture info and since the Disney anmiators drew their cells with 1.66:1 presesntations in mind it's hard to get too upset.

Heck, if they'll 16x9 encode it, I'll won't ask questions. If only MGM and Warner could figure out that even 1.66:1 titles benefit from 16x9 encoding (and I have yet to hear a 4x3 consumer who even noticed the side-boxing which is almost always hidden due to overscan).

4. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

So then it sounds like someone is FINALLY promoting OAR as a "good" thing (family friendly).

I can't freaking believe it. Is this really true?

5. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

Here's why they call it family friendly widescreen:
    Let us imagine ourselves in the home of Joe Six Pack. Mom has just brought the kids home from soccer practice in the mini-van. Dad sits on his recliner while drinking his beer. He surprises the kids with a DVD. It's Return to Never-Land! They're excited! They put it in and watch. They are absolutely hypnotized. They can't take their eyes off the screen! Mom peeks at the TV screen from the kitchen, and, with a gasp, drops the platter she was holding. "Bars!" she says, "Bars! Black bars...!" She is stunned! "That D- DV- that... VDV thing is broken again isn't it? We'll have to take another movie back!"
    Dad glances up from his beer and looks at the screen. He then picks up the DVD case and reads the back. "Says here 'Family Friendly Widescreen'."
    Mom starts breathing again and the color comes back to her face. "Oh thank God..." She goes back into the kitchen and all is well.

6. Brian W.

Brian W. Screenwriter

Brian
    [​IMG]

7. Robert Cook

Robert Cook Stunt Coordinator

Seth Paxton wrote:

8. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Well, I thought it was funny...[​IMG]
    In any case...anything Disney can to do help promote the concept of widescreen to the uninitiated the better. I agree that it's odd since any 16x9 encoded disc will have bars at least as big as a 1.78 trasnfer on a 16x9 set...maybe what Disney means by "family friendly" is *not* 2.35:1 ???
    We should all call that little 800 number in my signature to let Disney know how much we appreciate 16x9 WS on this title.
    DO IT.
    dave [​IMG]

10. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

The problem is that this is NOT promoting widescreen because they're qualifying it. Widescreen is widescreen is widescreen. There is no good widescren; there is no bad widescreen. There is only OAR.

What this is going to do is further confuse and irritate J6P even more, because how they're going to expect DVDs to be available in "family friendly widescreen" and then get pissed off if the movie is anything greater than 1.66:1. ("Oh, well, I don't want it if it has the REALLY big black bars." Puh-lease.) This whole concept of "family friendly widescreen" is a complete disservice.

Of course, just the concept that a specific AR has to be listed as "family friendly" as though families are too stupid to appreciate anything wider than 1.66:1 or that anything wider than 1.66:1 is UNfriendly is insulting beyond measure.

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I think its laughable, period, that families are in some way more anti-WS than others, and therefore need family films released in P&S or "family friendly" WS.

There seems to be ample evidence that the younger generations are embracing WS in all AR's, and it's really the techno-phobe parents and baby boomers who need to be pandered to. From what I've heard, kids don't mind WS at all and many actually prefer it.

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    So would Toy Story (at 1.78:1) not be family friendly? Or Atlantis (2.35:1)?
    (edited, out of my sheer ignorance [​IMG])

13. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

Contrast this to the new one disc version of Sound of Music with a sticker on the packaging saying "Formatted to fit your screen - No Black Bars"......

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Actually, Tarzan is another perfect example of a family-friendly 16x9 encoded 1.66:1 transfer [​IMG]

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

16. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

17. Robert Cook

Robert Cook Stunt Coordinator

John_Berger wrote:
    Tarzan's aspect ratio on DVD is 1.66 (to be precise, it's 678x480 pixels, yielding an aspect ratio of 1.674), windowboxed within a 16:9 frame. If you didn't notice a difference between this and 1.85, I guarantee that the typical "full screen" aficionado would not be able to, hence the fallacy of Disney's notion of "family friendly."

18. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter