What's new

AR of The Fox and The Hound? (1 Viewer)

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know that aspect ratio of this movie? My wife bought this for the kids and it is 1:33 to 1.

Is this the OAR or do I have my first P&S only DVD?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Any noticeable boom mikes? :D

Glad to see this post. My girlfriend just bought this and asked me if I knew what the OAR was. I think she likes it enough to keep it if it is indeed an open matte.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
As noted over in the "Confused DVD File Reviews" thread, IMDB is seldom reliable in such matters as aspect ratios and sound formats. I don't recall myself what the OAR of Fox and the Hound is, but 1.66:1 seems more likely to me than 1.78:1. That's not a huge difference, and, if it is in fact open matte rather than P&S, shouldn't be a biggie for most people.

Brenton

Screenwriter
The OAR on this film is a little foggy. The way I understand it is that it was animated with the knowledge that, in the theaters, it could be shown matted or unmatted.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
"Fox" was constructed with a Disney standard (for new animated 70's and up for 1.85:1 presentation) at 1.66:1.

Dugger

ChadM

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks. So, "technically" I can claim a no P&S collection.

For what it is worth the framing looked tight to me in a couple of instances.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Well, it's not really P&S, since most likely no panning & scanning goes on with an AR of just 1.66:1, but it is cropped, so...

Oddly, the only one of Disney's animated classics that isn't in the original aspect ratio on DVD.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
LukeB,

I just read your the "FULLSCREEN" DVDs and Original Aspect Ratio section of your Web site. Interesting. Sounds quite convaluted for films release between 1961 and 1981.

Brings up the interesting question of is it really in its OAR if most people saw it in another ratio in the theaters? Is OAR defined by its creation or presentation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks