AR HC6 vs JBL NSP-1 + WM40

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Rivshin, Jan 15, 2002.

1. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

So my sister wants to get a stereo system in her new townhouse. I am of course in charge of selecting appropriate components, which is good since I'm looking for componets for my own HT at the same time. I figure that while I'm at it a 5.1 system would be a good choice, since she's also getting a shiny new DVD player.
    In any event she's no audiophile so even JBL S-series would be overkill for her, especially considering her budget. I've seen both the NSP-1 and HC6 systems spoken of highly, and they both look like excellent choices for her. However I haven't seen anyone compare them to each other on a relative basis. When all is said and done both a NSP-1 + WM40 and HC6 can be had for about $450. So if you had your pick of them, which would be your choice and why? If you think you've got a better suggestion for the $400-500 range please speak up also, I always like hearing the alternatives as well [​IMG]
    Thanks all [​IMG]
    --
    Dave

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

I have never compared the two systems but based on AR HC6 spec's, I would recommend the JBL NSP1s.
    Why?:
    I have used the JBL NSP1 (since April 2000 - my power sub Audio Source SW15) and if you're paying about the same, then get the HT Speakers that is known for it's Cinema Theater dynamic SPL capabilities** (w/sub) and uncolored, wide flat frequency response (documented by Sound & Vision - see below; Brent Butterworth - speaker test report for defunct eTown, etc.)
    **Most, if not all professional and private reviewers have pointed out how the laws-of-physics cannot be ignored and 2-way speakers w/3-1/2" woofers just don't have usable frequency below 110 - 100Hz (undesired effect = lower mid/bass hole between sub & speakers), can't reproduce the Theater SPL w/sub and are prone to blowing up the drivers when driven hard. This Is Not a Problem With the JBL NSP1s!!! [​IMG]
    JBL NSP1
    [​IMG]
    Frequency Response
    N-24 front left/right.... 89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB
    N-Center................. 89 Hz to 20 kHz ±5.5 dB
    N-24 surround............ 89 Hz to 18.4 kHz ±3.2 dB
    - Speaker tests performed by Tom Nousaine - using his standard process - makes it easy to compare with different speakers characteristics.
    If you want to compare more S&V frequency speaker charts vs. the NSP1s, see my website Are Bose Speakers Over Priced vs. Performance??
    Here's what Brent Butterworth (now w/Dolby Labs) wrote about the JBL NSP1s

3. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

I have the NSP1's and WM40 combo with an Onkyo 595. I like the way mine sound. [​IMG]

4. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Just to offset Phil and Jerry and to add balance to the
    discussion. If you are curious about the HC6's (which are
    at the very least, much better finished than the NSP1's)
    check out the review by Perfect Vision Magazine and then
    talk to some of the owners of the HC6 system on this forum.
    One such person that comes to mind is Phu Vo who has a thread
    running in the old non categorized section of the forum.
    If not mistaken he owns the Energy Take 5 system and he is
    going to get rid of the Take5's because his brothers HC6
    setup outperforms them.
    I can not and I am not vouching for the "sound" or musicality
    of the HC6 system but what I will vouch for is AR's legendary
    reputation, quality and great customer service. Not to mention
    the fact that AR has been rated B Class by Stereo Review (for the Hi Res line)
    Check out Phu's thread here:http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=34881
    And to interject a note of non bias, I do not care which
    system you purchase, HC6 or NSP1 I beleive they are both a
    great bargain for what you get![​IMG]
    (But you do get white gloves with the HC6's) [​IMG]

5. Phil Iturralde

FYI: The latest Sound & Vision FEB/MAR 2002 Issue has tested the AR HC6 HT Speaker System. I scanned and added the HC6 Frequency Response Chart by Tom Nousaine in my webpage Are Bose Speakers Over Priced vs. Performance??. The test report is new and not in Sound & Visions webpage yet, but I'm sure the magazine is @ your local favorite magazine stand!
    NOTE: Because my website is 'free', hosted by GeoCities, if too many HT enthusiasts visit, GeoCities will shut it down for an hour or so because it exceeded the specified 'freebie' Data Transfer Rate. Sorry about that, just bookmark it and visit my site an hour later or when everyone has gone to bed!
    Phil

6. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Wow, those N24s are really quite impressive in uniformity of response (I didn't remember those graphs,89 Hz to 18.9 kHz ±2.7 dB), especially for such an inexpensive speaker. And they dig appreciably lower than the AR sats, allowing a better blend with a sub at the preferred 80Hz crossover. It also looks like you'd have to add a sub to the HC6, anyway, 49Hz ain't cuttin' it.

The HC6, though, is a stunningly gorgeous set.

7. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

To anyone participating in this thread,

According to the graphs from S&V that Phil posted, who is the "Paper Champion"? Sorry, I am not an expert, but can someone rank the under $1000 systems like this for me:

1. XXXOOO

2. XXXOOO

3. XXXOOO

and so on and so forth.......

Unbiased and on paper only please.

8. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Bump! Anyone, anyone.

9. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

Sorry for thread dumping but I have an easy question and I didn't think it needed it's own thread. Does the NSP1 "set" come with mounting brackets for the fronts and surrounds? I emailed JBL and got not reply, I asked JandR and the guy told me no but when I look at the pictures that Amazon has they show it as having brackets. Any help?

Thanks,

Doug

10. Phil Iturralde

11. DougRogers

DougRogers Stunt Coordinator

Thank you very much. I am now just waiting for JandR to get them back in stock so they can ship out my order. HURRY!!

Thanks again,

Doug

12. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

Doug,

JandR is out of the NSP1 package. But, the NSP1 package is just two sets of the N24's and the N-center which they do have in stock to sell seperately. I got mine in the mail yesterday, and they price matched it for $299 including shipping. Even without the price matching, the seperates only come to $309 delivered. So, you don't have to wait to order if you don't want to.

Good Luck

Mark

13. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    just a heads-up...
    www.buy.com has the JBL NSP-1 set for $229.00
    w/ FREE SHIPPING!!!
    I just ordered a set for myself!
    Mike