AR Banana plugs - differences and specs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by inazuma, Sep 23, 2002.

1. inazuma

inazuma Extra

Looking to buy some banana plugs for my speaker wires... Looking at Acoustic Research with their HT407 (Pro) and the MS807 (Master) plugs.
    The HT407 is the compression type and is limited to 10 AWG, the AR's website doesn't say what type of connection the MS807 has... Anyone know if it is a compression or screw type as well as what the max gauge of wire it can handle?
    Lastly, will I be able to make a 12 AWG wire fit into the HT407 even though it is only rated for a 10 AWG wire?
    Thanks-

2. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

I use the 407 pro series without any problems. I have 4 strands of 16 gauge (equiv. to about 10ga) in each one. 12 gauge wire is smaller than 10 so you will have no problems with them fitting.

Bill

edit:
    p.s. it appears the other plugs you've mentioned are designed to fit on a certain speaker cable they make which is already terminated. It is merely an adapter.

3. inazuma

inazuma Extra

Thanks for the checking and clarifying. Guess the 807 is out of the picture then.

I had a brain fart earlier too... I meant would a larger gauge fit with the 407? So could I cram a 8ga wire into the 407 even if it says the max is 10? Just wondering how much you can really cram into that thing.

In any case, thanks for the info.

4. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Like I noted above, my wire was equiv. to about 10 gauge and it was tight. I don't think you'll be able to use any larger.

Bill