aqustics and sound proofing

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Sean.W, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Sean.W

Sean.W Auditioning

Sep 1, 2005
    I have mt home theatre in the basement and i want to improve my aquatics and sound proofing. My viewing room is attached to a hallway and another room. My surround sound produces a little bit of a bad sound. I m thinking i could cut off some of the bad vibs but puttting up a sound proof curtain bettween my viewing room and the hallwayand connecting room. As well as placinv pyramid foam on the roof. My question is will this improve my acoustics and sound proofing of the upstairs or will it be worthless,

Thanks in advance. Sean.
  2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    Welcome to the Forum, Sean!

The things you’re asking about – heavy curtains and pyramid foam – are acoustical treatments that are designed to dampen and diffuse reflections. That has nothing to do with soundproofing. Soundproofing is preventing sound from being heard in adjacent rooms. Soundproofing can only be accomplished upon construction – extra-thick walls, solid-core doors, etc.

As to whether or not the acoustical treatments you’re considering will improve your “little bit of a bad sound” will depend on what’s causing it. If you have hard floors, ceilings and walls everywhere, then yes it would help, because rooms with nothing but hard surfaces everywhere have a lot of reverb and echo. If the bad sound is because of budget speakers, then the treatments can’t do anything for that.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt