Aquarium Filtration Question

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Robert_eb, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

I currently own the Eheim Ecco 2233 Canister filter for an 40-45 gallon aquarium. I currently just use an carbon filter pad and the coarse pads. I like to begin using Ehfimech & Ehfisubstrat media.

Will the Ehfimech & Ehfisubstrat media make a difference in filtration?

How often to you replace this type of media?

From what I read, you can just rinse it off and re-use it. How many times can you rinse and re-use?

Thanks.

2. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Wish I could help Robert, but I've yet to have the pleasure of owning an Ehiem. (Hopefully I'll upgrade to one soon.)

I'd go check out the Aquaria Forums, or FishGeeks. Both are good places to ask about such things. [​IMG]

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Not knowing Eheim that much, I have a cheaper Fluval, but I will rerinse out the mechanical filtration, pretty much as many times as you like, the purpose of that is simply to strain out debris and crud. For purposes of the biological filtration, I can't help you, I would rinse them out on occasion with used tank water just to clear out any gunk that made it past the mechanical filtration but I don't think you would have to replace them that often. Eheim is quality stuff so I can assume you love your fishies and want to take good care of them. I would think that every year, you can replace half the media is a very safe method. Then stagger that replacing half the media every year or so such that the media is never more than 2 years old. Even that is probably conservative, I'm sure there are a lot of people who never replace the media.

Jay

4. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I never replace the media, but do make sure it doesn't become clogged with gunk with regular cleanings in used tank water (otherwise you can kill the organsims if your water has chlorine or chloramine in it). You must remember that the media is where the bacteria who do the work in keeping your tank stable live, so you don't want to remove or replace it with new media without having seeded the new media with bacteria first. Any change in the media will require the tank to resettle, which can raise amonia and start the cycle over.

I usually just add new media to the existing filter, and let it sit for at least a week, before removing older media permanently. I usually do this when setting up a new tank so it is already established.