What's new

Pre-Order Aquaman (4k UHD) (3D Blu-ray) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I;m sure it's been in this thread and every the Aquaman for the last 4-6 weeks (and another batch in the Movie thread) on every forum I've read for months.

I've rarely seen such a reaction to the removal of 2 patches of CGI blood from slivers of 20-30 frames
Not just the 3D, but 4K and BD and DVD versions of the UK release ONLY. The rest of EU seems expected to get the US version.
AUS has not chimed in yet though Roadshow is pretty notorious for just re-using the UK discs of Warner product down to the UK Ratings logo on the disc.

Note the editing was done by Warner, not by UK.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think Warner's radio silence on the wrong master being used for the 3D disc is unusual and unprofessional. Normally, they (or any other company) would at least acknowledge the receipt of an email, but they're not even doing that much.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've rarely seen such a reaction to the removal of 2 patches of CGI blood from slivers of 20-30 frames
People hear censorship and it raises eyebrows, I think that's natural. If the editing is as minor as you say, then it won't concern me. I have to wonder why it was necessary at all if it was so minor.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
People hear censorship and it raises eyebrows, I think that's natural. If the editing is as minor as you say, then it won't concern me. I have to wonder why it was necessary at all if it was so minor.

I don't know, but every country has it's issues. Uk - it's any hint of animal cruelty and visual blood -- one for obvious reasons, the latter not so much.
For Japan it used to be pubic hair though not sure that's changed.
US it's nudity and sex. All the blood, gore, and violence in the world it seems is OK, but not much of the other.

Technically I guess it falls into self censoring though I think it's just some extremely minor and meaningless editing. It's even less meaningful than the 2001 Cut/Fade but at least that has some historical significance plus it was a mistake not sanctioned by Kubrick/Heirs or the studio

During the Black Manta fight scene - Momoa is stabbed and his shirt shows a small circle of 'blood' stained shirt (no actual blood)

A few seconds later his back is slashed and a bit of blood spray is visible for 1/2 a second or less.

If the mods don't mind me linking to another forum
UK scene around 1:29
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16274981&postcount=1135

US Scene -- No actual frames are removed, just a bit CGI Blood is left out. The blood is far more obvious here than in the in motion fight scene which is blink and you miss it
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=16182121&postcount=620

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think the issue, in terms of the UK, is that their "PG-13" equivalent is a "12" certificate, which is obviously a younger age - so U.S. studios need to weigh whether it's worth slightly trimming the occasional film to get a "12" or give up the potential box office that comes with a more restrictive "15" or "18" rating there.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
US it's nudity and sex. All the blood, gore, and violence in the world it seems is OK, but not much of the other.
Not entirely true I understand Taxi Driver was going to be rated X but they changed the color of the blood by de-saturating the color to get it to an R ...

But your point is well taken
Not to mention in the USA
Saying "Mother" gets a G
Saying "F8cker" gets PG-13
Saying them both as one word is an automatic R ...
At least in the US the MPAA ratings are voluntary (Although our local paper will not accept ads for X rated films) - I don't think I was ever carded a PG or R film (PG-13 wasn't around when I was under 17)* and films on video are often released in "Unrated" editions ...

*I recall when "The Exorcist" (Rated R) came out there were several kids in the 7th grade who "hired" an um inebriate to get them in ...:huh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks