Aqua Teen Hungar Force

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Mike*S, May 10, 2004.

1. Mike*S

Mike*S Auditioning

I first saw an ad for the first season of this show several weeks ago. Something drew me toward it and I eagerly went looking for reviews. I either found mad raves or "absolute waste of time" reviews. So I taped two episodes off T.V. and watched them the first one I thought was a little odd but parts of it were really funny. The second one was just flat out wierd unless it was a season finale or somehting like that because it made no sense to me. Whatever it was that initally drew me to the show still is, even though the show seemed rather offbeat. I was wondering what people on here thought of this show and if they thought it would be for me. I like a lot of different kinds of T.V. and currently own the various season sets of Scooby-Doo, The Flintstones, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Family Guy, and C.S.I. My favorite show is Seinfeld. Thanks for your help.

2. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    I think Aqua Teen is fantastic; I own voume one and eagerly await volume 2 in July. If you like Family Guy and Seinfeld, then you'll like Aqua Teen. Don't look for sensable plots, or things to make sense. Just enjoy the 11 minute episodes that are jam packed with some of the best comedy on TV today.

IMHO of course

Bryan

3. Jon_p_s

Jon_p_s Stunt Coordinator

I own the first volume, you need to watch the episode MC Pee Pants.

4. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

One of the best shows currently on television. Easily.

5. Mike*S

Mike*S Auditioning

Thanks guys it sounds like it's worth it. Anything you can compare it to?

6. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Love it. [​IMG]

So many gems... The Moonites, MC Pee Pants, Happy Time Harry...

Now I just need more, plus Sealab and Harvey Birdman.

7. Jon B NY

I'd Compare it to the other AS shows. Space Ghost is just as weird.

8. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

It's not exactly Seinfeld, but it is one of the funniest shows currently on TV. But it is in no way appealing to a mainstream audience. If someone asks me what it's about, I'd find it impossible to describe.

Anything goes, there's almost no continuing plot lines, there's no theme, character development, moral, or closure at the end of each episode. They almost all end abruptly. It's just funny.

They currently air two episodes a night, Mon-Thu on Adult Swim at midnight.

9. Jeremy_Watson

Jeremy_Watson Stunt Coordinator

I'm gonna have to agree with most of these comments... I LOVE IT! This show is completely ridiculous, mostly over-the-line, and sometimes painfully hilarious. The humor is often dark and completely off-beat. But, if this desribes your sense of humor at all, definitely check this show out.

I also own Vol 1 and can't wait for Vol 2.

10. Alexander.M

Alexander.M Auditioning

Easily my favorite tv show ever. I strongly recommend the volume 1 dvd, as almost every episode on there is good for laughs. Cant really go wrong since it's like $20.

It does demand a dark sense of humor and not everyone will like it because it does not try to be funny for every person's sense of humor. The humor I would most compare to Monty Python movies (people either love or hate that also). The cartoon I would most compare it to is Family Guy, except every ATHF episode is as stupid as the stupidest family guy episode, like when he gets in a fist fight with a giant chicken for 5 minutes. Also if u can laugh at dialogue of spoof/parody movies like the Naked Gun movies I think you will like it.

11. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

BEST FG BIT EVER![​IMG] I LOVE ATHF, watch it everytime it's on, can't wait to get Vol. 2.

12. ChrisBEA

ChrisBEA Screenwriter

I bought Vol 1 blind and loved it.
    It is beautifully bizarre!

13. Mike*S

Mike*S Auditioning

Well...I went out and did it. And I don't regret a minute of it, it's a hilarious show; I just wish each episode was a little longer. Now that I'm already awaiting the release of Volume 2, I need to know are any of the other Adult Swim shows like this and just as if not funnier. Thanks.

14. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

In my opinion ATHF's the funniest of the bunch, followed by Home Movies in a close second. Then Sealab 2021, Space Ghost and Harvey Birdman. The last 3 are very similar to ATHF in humor, and Home Movies is funny while making sense for the most part.

15. Bryan Ri

Bryan Ri Screenwriter

Bryan
    I am a big fan of Brak, and Harvey Birdman. Harvey Birdman is still on, but unfortunately Brak has been cancelled.

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I love ATHF & Sealab; really started with Space Ghost years ago, then it evolved.. Brak got a show, and kinda grew to what it is now. Occassionally really enjoy Harvey Birdman, but ATHF.. oh yeah, baby.. I want Candy.. err.. ATHF

(Speaking of which, MC Chris, the man who is MC Pee Pants, has a CD: http://www.mcchris.com/ )

17. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

ATHF is one of my favorite shows on TV hands down, I highly recommend it, but don't expect it to make sense it rarely does and that's why I like it so much.

18. Jon B NY

Mike - If you're looking for some more AS shows like ATHF to buy...wait for July and pick up Sealab 2021 along with the new ATHF discs. I know there's a Space Ghost DVD already available, but be sure that you'll want to try it out. The humor is bizarre...it's also dated. About 10 years dated. So yes, it's bizarre...10 years ago. lol. I own the DVD and love it, it's just not as upbeat as some of those older Aqua Teens.

19. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

ATHF is a goldmine. Even my girlfriend thinks this show is funny and she isn't a fan of bizarre and absurdly ridiculous humor. Nothing makes sense and the characters are all wierd and every once in a while the show is just disgusting, but you won't find anything funnier on TV today.

Get the DVDs and give them a chance, you'll love them. If you are really unsure you can try and tape the show for a week or so, that would be a better sampling of them. It's on nightly on Adult Swim now so you can load up. It's the some of the funniest 11 minutes you'll ever watch.

20. Jean D

Jean D Screenwriter

the "Video Ouiji" episode is just the funniest damn episode, and Ive been a fan since the first season a couple years ago, Im glad its finnally getting exposure, Vol. 3 is sceduled to be released in the fall, and it also got greenlighted for annother 13 episodes

www.aquateencentral.com is a good fan site with a lot of info about the show