What's new

April HD DVD Combo Titles No Longer Combos? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Could Universal be listening to their fans? According to this link, "The Jerk" and "The Nutty Professor" are no longer combos, and this seems to be confirmed by the fact that Universal has quietly removed any mention of SD extras from their website and dropped the MSRP to $29.98.

Very interesting things happening at Universal. First the imbroglio with the Spielberg titles, then Zucker takes over NBC/Universal, and now a possible waver in support for the 90% combo campaign. At least they're keeping it interesting.

Rolando

Screenwriter
wow, that would be great!

Well in case Uni is listening:

THANK YOU UNIVERSAL!

I will buy at least 50% of all your non-combo releases as opposed to MAYBE 10% of all your combo releases. I was going to say none of your combo releases but let's face it, I am weak :)

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I, for one, was looking forward to ditching my old DVDs of The Jerk and The Nutty Professor. :frowning:

Rolando

Screenwriter
you still can!

Now you will have them in HD, why would want to go back to watching it in SD? If it's to have a back up or to watch on a TV you only have an SD player plugged then there is nothing stopping you from storing them side by side. Keep them both if you want!

Heck it the extra shelf space it takes bothers you so much then transfer both discs to a double DVD case and there you go.

I just don't see why we should all get stuck with having to buy or re-buy an SD version glued to our HD-DVD if we don't want it.

ENJOY!

Gabe D

Senior HTF Member
I will keep both. Thanks--I hadn't realized that was an option. ;)

I understand why people don't like to pay for a feature they don't want, but that doesn't mean nobody wants it.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I, too, am disappointed by this news. I don't own either of these titles, and I was hoping to purchase them to watch in standard definition now, and in high definition later when I finally purchase an HDTV. I guess I'll have to double-dip to accomplish that, now.

Rolando

Screenwriter

Well you were going to double dip anyway just now you won't do it in one shot :)

Seriously though, unless I am wrong these movies should be fairly cheap on SD-DVD if not cheapie bin cheap. Don't even this about it, go buy the SD version now. By then time you get the HD version I am sure it will still be cheaper having bought them separately like this than what the price of a combo disc would be now. AND you get separate case and disc art for each.

Heck if you want to, you can sell your SD version when you buy the HD version and reduce your cost even more.

The alternative is we all buy the SD and HD version so that people like me who don't want it not only pay for something they don't want, get an ugly disc with no disc art (yes, I do spend time admiring it ok?) and can't even sell it to offset the cost because IT IS STUCK TO THE BACK OF MY HD-DVD!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping they'd just lower the prices on the combo discs- that's the biggest problem with them. If they're priced just a little more than a regular DVD, then more people will pick them up just to have an HD version later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks