What's new

April 30th......Who else is getting excited? RE (GCN) Hands On Impressions at IGN (1 Viewer)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Link Removed
Link Removed
Link Removed
I'm surprised. Maybe traffic was dying down at IGNCube, so they threw us bone to chew on. Tasty!
EDIT: Now Gamespot has their impressions up as well.
PGC has some unique impressions up now. Interesting that this person mentioned how much more difficult the game is this time around.
More impressions from PGC.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
MMMMM must have. Can April come fast enough! (As if I dont already have enough to play.)

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
No Progressive Scan :frowning:
Ahhhh, man... Now I REALLY want an Xbox version. (I'm sure it still looks great, but my TV has a shitty line doubler, and looks 100x better with an external progresive source)

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Unfortunately, Biohazard lacks support for 480p progressive scan mode or Dolby Surround. Rather, it runs only in interlaced mode and features stereo sound.
Hmmm...wonder how it sounds with DPL II? Disappointing news, but I will still thoroughly enjoy myself playing this...with the lights off :eek:
Sean, sounds like you need that line-doubling circuit disabled. What TV you got?

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Masood, thanks for offering assistance :)
I have a 16x9 Mitsubishi 55857 55" Platinum Plus.
As far as I know, there is no way to disconnect the set's internal line doubler. I don't think it's even possible because the set can only display 480p scanning frequencies and higher (up to 1080i). That said, even if there were a way to bypass it, I don't think a 480 line interlaced image would be preferable. It's not like the line doubler is totally horrendous (despite what I may have led you to believe :D ), it's just that I am picky about picture quality, and when I plug in a straight progressive signal (like my DVD player, or Xbox) it bypasses the sets built in doubler/scaler. That's when this set really shines.
I COULD go the iScan Pro route, that is, buy an external doubler/scaler but that's at least another $500 that I am not going to spend.
I am sure that I could still enjoy Resident Evil very much on my setup. It's just kind of deflating (slightly) that this is the game I want a GC for, and it wont support Pro Scan or DPL II.
Damn, this game looks soooo good though. Definitely a system seller. A friend of mine already bought his Cube just for these RE games.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
It’s much, much harder than the original. The zombies are stronger, the healing items are rare and so is ammunition. More often than before, running from zombies seems to be the way to go. These are all things that add to the survival dimension of the game. Those who don’t enjoy the Resident Evil series won’t find much changed in the essential gameplay mechanics; there’s still a need to conserve, run from enemies, manage your inventory and backtrack to pick up essential items. It’s still very much Resident Evil but now it’s tougher.

-From PGC

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
I've got a few reasons I want a Cube, but I admit that Resident Evil is the strongest. I loved every one of the games, except the first ironically, which I found mediocre. I can tell this will be far beyond my wildest dreams however :D. I finish classes the 26th, that weekend I'll be getting my Cube, then Res Evil immediately after.
I follow my Res Evils, and even if exclusivity is lost, I'll still get to play them first, so win-win for me. I'm dying to get back into that shotgun toting groove...
AND they re-did the voice acting! Although I admit it'd be cool to have an option to use the old voice acting. But then again, so much of the game has apparently been changed that I doubt it would still apply as much.
I'm dying to compare my PSOne version with the GC version though. Rrr... Come on April 30th!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
After reading about the game, I want it BAD. Even being just a slightly enhanced port I would want it, but after seeing how much it has changed, its pretty much a brand new game.

I wish they had an option to play with the original voice acting. As terrible as it was, I love hearing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks