What's new

April 1 Truffaut's Fahrenheit 451 (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's an outstanding disc. The commentary doesn't just feature Julie Christie, but also editor Thom Noble, producer Lewis M. Allen and Truffaut biographer Annette Insdorf.

In addition to the extras listed above, it also has an animated stills gallery, the trailer and Julie Christie's alternate voiceover for the opening credits.

A must-buy for any fans of the film - you'll never see a finer edition

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
And another thing: it's cheap! Ridiculously cheap! Between this and the low-priced Fox Studio Classics discs, my dvd collection and my wallet are finally at peace. :D

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I've just noticed something - Julie Christie's character (the wife) in the film has a widescreen television! In 1966!! This must be some sort of first! :D

Debbie E

Stunt Coordinator
Ordered at Best Buy :D I've always loved this story. Now if Harrison Bergeron would come out on DVD...

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Julie Christie's alternate voiceover for the opening credits
As explained in the documentary, the alternate voiceover isn't by Julie Christie; it's by Gillian Lewis, who played the TV announcer.

Especially at a street price of less than $12, this is an extraordinary special edition (whether it's called that or not), with features that put many discs to shame. The fact that it has received so little attention from the online HT community is a sad comment on the state of this hobby.

M.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As explained in the documentary, the alternate voiceover isn't by Julie Christie; it's by Gillian Lewis, who played the TV announcer.
In the UK theatrical version (and perhaps in the rest of Europe), the opening credits voiceover has always been by Gillian Lewis. I found it disconcerting to hear a male voice on the DVD - to me THAT is the alternative voiceover!

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the confirmation about the commentary track, had forgotten aout this actually, so just ordered one

:emoji_thumbsup:

danak

Second Unit
Jon Robertson wrote
> The commentary doesn't just feature Julie Christie, but
> also editor Thom Noble, producer Lewis M. Allen and
> Truffaut biographer Annette Insdorf

Also included: author Ray Bradbury, DVD producer Laurent Bouzereau, and Bernard Herrmann biographer Steven Smith. I think that's everyone, but I could have missed someone. It's a bit strange that the back of the disc and online vendors don't indicate that several people are part of the audio commentary, not just Christie.

It's a well-done Special Edition. I came away feeling that I understood and appreciated the film a whole lot more than if I had watched the bare-bones edition.

Dana

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator
Why wasn't this released as a "Collecter's Edition"? Pricing? It seems like it would it qualify for the moniker.

Ben

WillardK

Second Unit
I just finished the supplements last night. As timeless as the film's themes are, they were made even more creepily so by Julie Christie's commentary. The fact that her observations seem almost brave in context of the current political climate says something. Nice dvd package overall.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I forgot about this release. I have the original Image version that I picked up somewhere for clearance price, but it sounds like I need to pick this one up.

By the way, whatever happened to the Mel Gibson remake of this. Fahrenheit is one of my very favorite books and I'd love to see someone else's angle on it.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I also thought GIBSON was remaking, or rather doing a movie version of THE PRISONER.....what became of that?

at $9.99 locally, Ive got to pick F451 up!

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
Frank Darabont is now writing and will eventualy direct a new version of F451.

Gibson passed on that, and I wasn't sure he had involvement in new Prisoner. No idea what has happened to that at all. In fact, I think that it's unlikely any studio would want to embrace a project of that nature in these times...

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
Francois Truffuat's chilling and chilly adaptation of Ray Bradbury's classic novel has a mixed reputation. It's certainly very stylized and 'European' in it's conception. Many found confounding, but the sterility works here. Truffuat's vision of a world without books shows how society would lose its essential humanity. It's poetry.
Oskar Werner's portrayal of Montag the 'fireman' who eventually submits to the written word is lovely, as is Julie Christie in a dual role. Bee Duffell is note perfect as the Book Woman. Her passion for free expression reaches from Bradbury's pages, to Truffuat's film -- to today.
My college professor, George Bluestone (author of the seminal book, Novels Into Film), was a visitor to Truffuat's set and wrote of his experience there watching the master at work. He related to me the story behind the story of how the absolutely devastating Book People in the Snow sequence came to be by happy accident - the snow wasn't scripted. It's a bittersweet but strangely moving coda with Bernard Herrmann's brilliant music accented it.
Fahrenheit 451 has been talked about as a big screen remake for decades (including a Mel Gibson take). A 2018 HBO version by Ramin Bahrani tried and failed to update the story with modern tech. The Truffuat, without any written titles, is sublime as it is.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We often used to study Fahrenheit 451 in my English class. At the end of the unit I would show the movie. The first question would be "where is the robot dog?" And then they would roar with laughter at the "wall size TV". My solution to this was to warn them of these "defects" before I showed it. It usually was ok after this, although most people in my grade 11 class found it dull. (After 5749 showings (only a slight exaggeration), I began to be fond of it myself! 😊)

Last edited:

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
We often used to study Fahrenheit 451 in my English class. At the end of the unit I would show the movie. The first question would be "where is the robot dog?" And then they would roar with lafter at the "wall size TV".
I'll take those deficiencies over the high tech remake any day

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks