Apprentice -- Theme Changed!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Christopher D, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

A warning to anyone uncompromising on their DVDs -- the main theme music has been changed on "The Apprentice" from "For the Love of Money" to some cheesy song you've never heard called "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is".

Ironic that they wouldn't pony up for the music rights on a Trump title, and sad because I think the theme was really associated with the series. It's really weird watching the opening without it.

[​IMG]

2. MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens Producer

Oh, you've got to be kidding me.
    That song was perfect for the show. Now they've replaced it? Ghastly.
    Say it isn't so.

OK, I wasn't planning on buying it anyway, but replacing the theme music? That's one change everyone that buys the set is going to notice.

3. Ric Easton

Ric Easton Cinematographer

No Original Theme Music = No Sale!

4. John Mansor

John Mansor Stunt Coordinator

"Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is", is that an Oasis song?

5. James Landau

James Landau Stunt Coordinator

Damn right! Yet another purchase removed from my wish list. When the morons at these companies stop taking short cuts and learn how to do TV on DVD properly, they'll get my money — and not before! Hard to believe how many TV set purchases I planned to make this year have become no sales thanks to ineptitude and bungling on the part of the publisher. But, hey, if they don't want my money, I'm sure there's someone out there who does.

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

One would think, with all his money, Donald Trump could afford to buy a decent hairpiece.

7. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

But then you'll miss the lovely cardboard slipsleeve for the set that when opened triggers a soundclip of Donald Trump saying "You're Fired!"

8. Christopher D

As a lark, I was thinking about sending a letter to Trump asking him why he would allow his image to be used on a cheap *ss product with a shoddy music track. Maybe that would get Universal's attention if he calls them ticked off.

9. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I'm not a fan of this show, or any other reality shows for matter. So I wasn't going to purchase this anyway. Could someone please explain to me the appeal of buying a DVD of a reality show when you already know who is the winner.

10. CynthiaH

CynthiaH Agent

I don't see how it is different from buying a season of any show that you have already seen on TV. You already know the ending to those shows as well.

11. Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell Screenwriter

Andy Budgell
    I would never buy a season set of a reality show where there is a winner. But, give me "The Simple Life" or "Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica" anyday!

12. AnthonyC

AnthonyC Cinematographer

I saw this today at Best Buy and although I didn't buy it (waiting for my birthday), the packaging SUCKS!

I wouldn't be surprised if people take the shrinkwrapped part and just leave the box where the UPC is. Sure the "You're fired!" part is a cool touch, but the DVDs themselves (the shrinkwrapped part) falls out whenever you pick it up! Not to mention the black space taken up by the voice chip.

13. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Yup, this was a case of packaging that didn't work. Neat idea, but poor execution.

Gord

14. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

Universal has got to be the winner of the "Seemed like a good idea at the time..." packaging contest.

15. Al (alweho)

Al (alweho) Second Unit

Unlike a lot of studios, Uni at least makes an effort at being creative. Some titles miss the mark, but quite a few are really nice packages.

For example the Doris Day/Rock Hudson box set is nicely designed and an outstanding value for what you pay. The Monsters sets (Dracula/Frankenstein plus their sequels, etc.) are very nice to look at and a great buy.

Compare that to what HBO did with Sex and the City, or the bare bones Paramount TV sets such as Happy Days. [​IMG]

16. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

There are packaging standards for a reason. Creative packaging always suffers from it being hard to get the discs out, not fitting on my shelf well or not holding together well. Channel that creativity into special features production and cover art.

17. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

Amazing that they didn't include a home release clause when they first licenced the song. Especially an opening theme!

--Ian

18. Josh_HI

Josh_HI Second Unit

First of all reality shows can be loved just like any other show.Just because you know who wins doesn't mean you don't love the show and you don't wanna see it again.I have every Survivor episode & every Big Brother episode on tape.And I do that because I love the shows.

Theme change: I am glad I knew about it before I bought the set.But I still bought the set.I figure I love this show and want it on dvd, so why not pay $30.00 for it now when in a week it will be $40.00.And I LOVE the new theme song.Sure I would have liked the original but this one has a beat to it that just wants to make you get up and dance.Atleast it's not as bad as the new Dawson's Creek theme.Now that song I hate![​IMG] But I will still buy the sets because I love the show and it will only be available like that so why not buy it.I feel that not buying a dvd set b/c of the theme is just stupid.I mean I buy sets because I love the actual show.Not just for the theme!And if a theme gets replaced just deal with it and move on.Sorry but that is my 2 cents.

Also I feel like "Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is" is going to be the theme for season 2 on tv.I don't know why but I feel like it would be smarter to do that than get any hopes of the original being on the season 2 dvd set.

19. Christopher D

I'm also wondering if they're going to use it as the theme for season two. It does grow on you a little bit, although the original music is so closely associated with this show that I can't believe they'd change it in either place.