What's new

Appreciation for "Truman Show" (1 Viewer)

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

??!! Great movie punctuated by the only logical ending, the perfect ending.

One of my favorite films ever, yet I don't watch it often. And each time I do, I am amazed anew at its brilliance. Also, it was one of the first DVDs I ever bought.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor

??!! Great movie punctuated by the only logical ending, the perfect ending.

One of my favorite films ever, yet I don't watch it often. And each time I do, I am amazed anew at its brilliance. Also, it was one of the first DVDs I ever bought.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

Ditto, probably my favorite film from '98. I only bought the R4 version for $10 about 2 weeks ago, its PAL but at least its anamorphic.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

Ditto, probably my favorite film from '98. I only bought the R4 version for $10 about 2 weeks ago, its PAL but at least its anamorphic.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
How about the lost ending...Where Truman finds the show creator and kicks the crap out of him. :D

todd s

Senior HTF Member
How about the lost ending...Where Truman finds the show creator and kicks the crap out of him. :D

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I've only seen it twice, and I had a hard time with it during the first viewing.

The marketing campaign had me believing it was a comedy, something more like "EdTV". So, that's what I went into it expecting. Of course, it was nothing like that. It took a second viewing to truly appreciate it.

DougFND

Stunt Coordinator
I've only seen it twice, and I had a hard time with it during the first viewing.

The marketing campaign had me believing it was a comedy, something more like "EdTV". So, that's what I went into it expecting. Of course, it was nothing like that. It took a second viewing to truly appreciate it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

The perfect ending would have a direct confrontation between Harris and Carrey. A big miss.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

The perfect ending would have a direct confrontation between Harris and Carrey. A big miss.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
See, I would have found a confrontation to be counter to the rest of the movie.. I thought the fact that Truman was able to basically say:

"Yeah, you think you know me, you think you are a god figure to me.. but you're not that important" and walk out carried all the best overtones.. Christophe (Ed Harris) honestly believed if he spoke to Truman in that scene, he could convince him as a God like character.. Truman was able to look through it and reject it by dismissing his overall importance "You never had a camera in my head"..

I think addressing it in that manner -worked- well, a confrontation would have been more awkward then realistic.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
See, I would have found a confrontation to be counter to the rest of the movie.. I thought the fact that Truman was able to basically say:

"Yeah, you think you know me, you think you are a god figure to me.. but you're not that important" and walk out carried all the best overtones.. Christophe (Ed Harris) honestly believed if he spoke to Truman in that scene, he could convince him as a God like character.. Truman was able to look through it and reject it by dismissing his overall importance "You never had a camera in my head"..

I think addressing it in that manner -worked- well, a confrontation would have been more awkward then realistic.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

But they already had the confrontation. It doesn't happen face to face, but I think it is better that way. Considering Truman doesn't know this guy, why would he want to meet him? Naah, it is great as it is.

Also huge props for Andrew Niccol who wrote both this, and Gattica, probably a couple of the best science fiction films to come out in recent years. Unfortunatly "S1m0ne" was a misstep for him, but no one is perfect.

Jason

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

But they already had the confrontation. It doesn't happen face to face, but I think it is better that way. Considering Truman doesn't know this guy, why would he want to meet him? Naah, it is great as it is.

Also huge props for Andrew Niccol who wrote both this, and Gattica, probably a couple of the best science fiction films to come out in recent years. Unfortunatly "S1m0ne" was a misstep for him, but no one is perfect.

Jason

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Certainly a very well made and well acted movie. I just was put off by the fact they presented it as if it was a totally new concept for a movie that only they thought of when nearly the exact same concept was presented in a old black & white episode of "The Twilight Zone". Talk about being ahead of its time!

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Certainly a very well made and well acted movie. I just was put off by the fact they presented it as if it was a totally new concept for a movie that only they thought of when nearly the exact same concept was presented in a old black & white episode of "The Twilight Zone". Talk about being ahead of its time!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

The guy that had controlled him his whole life? Maybe he would just like to be able to look him in the face and say F* You!

He may not know him, but Truman sure had found out what he had done to him.

Also, if not for Truman's sake what about the viewer? The buildup for a dramatic confrontation is seeded throughout the movie. We know the director and we know Truman.

Instead we end up with Truman floundering around in a sailboat reminiscent of a Gilligan's Island prologue. Perfect ending? Dramatic ending? It's a BIG missed dramatic moment.

It's human nature to want to meet your Creator.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

The guy that had controlled him his whole life? Maybe he would just like to be able to look him in the face and say F* You!

He may not know him, but Truman sure had found out what he had done to him.

Also, if not for Truman's sake what about the viewer? The buildup for a dramatic confrontation is seeded throughout the movie. We know the director and we know Truman.

Instead we end up with Truman floundering around in a sailboat reminiscent of a Gilligan's Island prologue. Perfect ending? Dramatic ending? It's a BIG missed dramatic moment.

It's human nature to want to meet your Creator.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
You know who was waiting for him on the other side of the door?....All the lawyers for a potential lawsuit ;)

Seriously, all of this talk has me wanting to watch it again.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
You know who was waiting for him on the other side of the door?....All the lawyers for a potential lawsuit ;)

Seriously, all of this talk has me wanting to watch it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks